Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nomadcal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Added 2nd hard drive and computer does not utilize it
    I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 40Gb hdd and recently installed a 160Gb hdd.
    I can see the hard drive (E:) in my computer and store data on it however the computer warns me that C: is running out of space and slows down regularly.

What do I have to change to make this do primary functions on E:
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 4, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadcal View Post
    What do i have to change to make this do primary functions on E:
    "Primary functions" doesn't even scratch the surface of what's involved. It isn't as easy as pushing a button. The operating system (Windows?) and any other software that is installed on C: has lots of configuration information referencing files on drive C:. There isn't any facility that moves it all to E: and starts using E:. Changing all the references manually isn't practical even if all their locations were known.

So, the available options are:
    1) Physically swap drive C: with drive E: so the new drive becomes C: and reinstall the operating system and software from scratch. This is very time consuming, particularly if the original operating system and driver discs have been lost or misplaced as is often the case.

2) Purchase imaging software such as Acronis True Image, clone (make exact copy) the C: drive to the new E: drive, physically swap the drives so E: is now C: and C: is E:, and go on about your business. Should take less than an hour. The imaging software can then subsequently be used for backing up your data on the new C: drive to the old E: drive or an external drive.

3) Have local computer shop do #2 above for you.

I'd also suggest having the drives installed as C: and D: with any CD-Rom or other drives starting at letter E:. You could also split the new large drive into multiple partitions - C: (Operating System) and D: (Your Data), and E: (Old Drive) to facilitate backup.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2009, 08:22 AM

It is possible to move files from C:\Program Files to D:\Program Files, and then edit the registry to point to the appropriate point on D:. However, it's not for novices and it can still take some time. Scleros' suggestions are probably the best for most people.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 7, 2009, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    "Primary functions" doesn't even scratch the surface of what's involved. It isn't as easy as pushing a button. The operating system (Windows?) and any other software that is installed on C: has lots of configuration information referencing files on drive C:. There isn't any facility that moves it all to E: and starts using E:. Changing all the references manually isn't practical even if all their locations were known.

So, the available options are:
    1) Physically swap drive C: with drive E: so the new drive becomes C: and reinstall the operating system and software from scratch. This is very time consuming, particularly if the original operating system and driver discs have been lost or misplaced as is often the case.

2) Purchase imaging software such as Acronis True Image, clone (make exact copy) the C: drive to the new E: drive, physically swap the drives so E: is now C: and C: is E:, and go on about your business. Should take less than an hour. The imaging software can then subsequently be used for backing up your data on the new C: drive to the old E: drive or an external drive.

3) Have local computer shop do #2 above for you.

I'd also suggest having the drives installed as C: and D: with any CD-Rom or other drives starting at letter E:. You could also split the new large drive into multiple partitions - C: (Operating System) and D: (Your Data), and E: (Old Drive) to facilitate backup.
    Never have a local shop do something you can do yourself just as easily and pretty much for free!

Creating Backups - Helljack6.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I utilize space on 2nd hard drive? [ 1 Answers ]

When installinga new program, how can I utilize the free space on my 2nd hard drive ?

Computer hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

When I press the button to turn my computer on nothing happens. Can it be repaired; is there a reset button; has it died? I have a 6000 series HP computer.

Drive letter for added hard drive not showing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have just added a second hard drive, with the jumpers set to slave. The bios does recognize the drive and the ribbon cable has been tested and is good. When the My Computer Icon, the drive letter for the second drive is not shown. There are two CD ROM's installed on the secondary IDE...

Computer does not recognize hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a big problem. Suddenly my bios does not recognize my harddisk anymore. Setup says it is not installed. I've checked the cables, they seem OK. I'm afraid to have lost all my data/harddrive. Does anyone knows what may be the problem? Thanks.

View more questions Search