Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KevinG Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Sizing Water Lines
    Tom,

It's me again. The guy finishing his basement. I've made it all the way to being ready to run water pipes for my basement bathroom and wet bar.

Here's my question. Our house is about 3 years old and the builder or plumber was nice enough to stub out the water lines above where our bathroom is going. Since the cold water will be servicing 2 sinks, a shower/tub, and toilet I'm going to use 3/4 inch type M Copper other than the wall stub outs. Should I do the same with the hot water? It will obviously service the same fixtures minus the toilet.

Thanks in advance.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
    I'm not saying its right or wrong, but my house has 3/4 run until the first branch, which feeds the water heater and other lines. At and after that first branch its 1/2 in all around. Unless tom says there's a need for more volume or some other issue that a DIY'er like me has no clue about (and I'm pretty clueless sometimes), id say it's a waste of good money and copper to run any more 3/4 than you need to... but I've got no pressure issues, so the 1/2 in seems fine here. I imagine the smaller volume can be an issue in some cases. We rarely run more than a couple of fixtures at a time, so our demand doesn't require the larger pipe, at least not yet!

*edited* after I posted this I got to thinking that maybe I'm just wrong. I know I've seen bigger pipe run to the water heater and other fixtures... and maybe the only thing worse than spending extra money on the front side to maybe overbuild is to spend more money and time after you have to rip out that small pipe because of water pressure issues or noise. Again... I haven't had a problem with pressure, but I have had some water noise where pipe is near a register... and ill bet that's in part because the lines are smaller..?
    KevinG Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    im not saying its right or wrong, but my house has 3/4 run until the first branch, which feeds the water heater and other lines. at and after that first branch its 1/2 in all around. unless tom says theres a need for more volume or some other issue that a DIY'er like me has no clue about (and im pretty clueless sometimes), id say its a waste of good money and copper to run any more 3/4 than you need to.
    Thanks KP... I'm not sure either but I've been told that the more fixtures a line will service, 3/4 is the way to go. I guess my dilemma is that I have 3/4 inch water lines, which service the rest of the house right above where the bathroom will go. The rest of the fixtures in our house are teed off this main line with 1/2 piping but that's 1/2 inches to each fixture. In my set up, one branch will be servicing multiple fixtures.

Thanks again for the fast reply. I hope you're right... it would save me about $50.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Hi Kevin, Welcome back!

"Here's my question. Our house is about 3 years old and the builder or plumber was nice enough to stub out the water lines above where our bathroom is going. Since the cold water will be servicing 2 sinks, a shower/tub, and toilet I'm going to use 3/4 inch type M Copper other than the wall stub outs. Should I do the same with the hot water? It will obviously service the same fixtures minus the toilet.

Let me tell you how we size our pipes, by code, in our new construction
    First off type "M" copper is thin wall copper and not to be used in residential water piping. Go with type "L" ridged copper.
    We make our mains 3/4" and our branches 1/2" with NOT OVER 3 FIXTURES ON A 1/2" BRANCH.
    You are planing on 4 fixtures that will need cold water. A suggestion here that someday someone taking a shower will thank me for. Since you're held to 3 fixtures off a 1/2" branch make those 3 fixtures the 2 lavatories and the tub. Run a dedicated 1/2" line off the 3/4" main to the toilet. That way if someone's going rub-a-dub in the shower and you flush the potty the person taking a shower won't get parboiled. All the other fixtures using hot water may be serviced by one 1/2" branch. Sound like a plan? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice needed on sizing/routing PEX lines [ 10 Answers ]

I am beginning to replace the 53 year old copper lines in my house with PEX as I am building a bathroom in the basement. I want to put in a manifold to separate some of the lines and give a central location for shutoff controls. Running individual lines to every fixture could be a bit expensive...

Changing from copper to plastic water lines [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I am trying to move the water supply lines for the bathroom so that I can begin framing a bathroom in the basement. The water lines are going right across the bottom of the floor joists where I need to put up the headers for the walls so I need to move them. My brother in law was...

Vanity Water Lines [ 5 Answers ]

We are having a house built and the plumber ran the water lines up through the floor rather than through the wall. I have never seen this before. Is this common? I am concerned that the lines will not have the strength to support a shutoff valve? Are there any codes related to this issue? ...

Draining water lines before soldering [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently putting a bathroom in my basement. I'm ready to tie into my existing water lines. I need to know if I need to shut off and empty my water heat in order to drain the water out of the lines. The water heater is in the basement and would be lower than any faucet. I would prefer not to...

Air in water lines [ 1 Answers ]

I have a on going problem with air in my water lines. When the outside water is turned on either the water comes in bursts or it is steady but with air bubbles. I have a horse farm and the water lines to my paddocks & barns froze and broke last winter (30 below 0 with no snow) so all of them were...

View more questions Search