Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Toilet tank seems to be tanking me!
    A small leak in the beginning has me rebuilding the entire tank(except the fill valve)

The leak was from what I thought were the bolts leaking,nope

The seal from tank to base,, still maybe? Put in new seal anyway when I did the tank bolts.

Decided it might be the seal around the flush valve,put in new flush valve.

NOW IT LEAKS WORSE THAN BEFORE :(

New seal for flush valve was different design(no lip around it to cover the entire valve nut)but it shouldn't matter,I put the old one back on after many tries to stop the leak:(

Any words of wisdom welcomed.

Ken
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 04:12 AM
    Hi KBC...

I think that's what got you... "no lip around it to cover the entire valve nut...but it shouldn't matter". The spud washer should enclose the entire nut.

I would purchase a new spud washer making sure that it is larger than the last one you tried and then try this again.

But first, what type of toilet (name brand) and how old? Just want to be sure it is not one of the newer models as some of them have an even larger spud washer.

MARK
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi KBC...

I think that's what got ya...."no lip around it to cover the entire valve nut...but it shouldn't matter". The spud washer should enclose the entire nut.

I would purchase a new spud washer making sure that it is larger than the last one you tried and then try this again.

But first, what type of toilet (name brand) and how old? Just want to be sure it is not one of the newer models as some of them have an even larger spud washer.

MARK
    Brand name is American Standard.Age is more than 15 years old.

The new spud washer is without the built up(like I said before)and I have been through the putting on the new one,trying the old one and trying to keep my hair intact while doing this whole thing:(

It's not like I haven't done this in the past,and very frustrating while doing this over and over today.Maybe I am too close to the forest to see the trees.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2009, 05:26 AM
    KBC,
    Is it possible that you over tightened the tank bolts and cracked the floor of the tank? Could that be the source of your leak? In a older toilet a regular spud washer,(see image) should do the trick.
    Where in Illinois is your home. Bob's,(ballenger) from Wheaton and I'm a Rockford transplant to Florida. Cheers Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    KBC,
    Is it possible that you over tightened the tank bolts and cracked the floor of the tank? Could that be the source of your leak? In a older toilet a regular spud washer,(see image) should do the trick.
    Where in Illinois is your home. Bob's,(ballenger) from Wheaton and I'm a Rockford transplant to Florida. Cheers Tom
    Yeah,I have lived in Naperville and I know where Bob lives,I am outside Dixon(South of Rockford and a little west,as the crow flies)Been here for the last 9-10 years,living on a sand Prairie.

I think a spud washer with the built-up at the top of the flange(to cover the flush valves' nut under the tank might,just maybe,be the ticket,I'll post later after I get a new one(later today)

Thanks for the ideas and responses.

Ken
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2009, 06:04 AM
    Hi Ken... if you want to check Tom's idea about cracked tank while at the store purchasing the spud washer drop some food coloring into the tank and see if any hair line cracks show up when you return... ;)

Keep us posted!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Ahhh Dixon!
    I recall, many years ago, driving down highway 2 that follows Rock River from Rockford to Dixon every Autumn. The foliage with the autumn colors was nothing less then breathtaking. I sincerely hope that they haven't trashed that drive with strip malls and bill boards. Please tell me it's still the same beautiful drive that I recall. Regards, Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Ahhh Dixon!
    I recall, many years ago, driving down highway 2 that follows Rock River from Rockford to Dixon every Autumn. The foliage with the autumn colors was nothing less then breathtaking. I sincerely hope that they haven't trashed that drive with strip malls and bill boards. please tell me it's still the same beautiful drive that I recall. Regards, Tom
    Nah,no real big changes,except going through Byron,they have ended the 'street sales'(people would try to sell their 'wares' on the edge of the busy highway,just small vendors.. etc,otherwise going down through the country is still as nice as you remember it to be.

Ok,update,the leak is ended,the supply line is snuggled back to its normal resting place,it would seem to have been the combination of new spud seal and a little more patience(of which I have little of,lately)Thanks all who contributed to the repairs and didn't give guff while I was losing it,, hehe:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet tank lever breaks when I try to flush toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem trying to flush my toilet. When attempting to flush the plastic tank lever often breaks and when I use the metal tank level they often bend. The only way to flush the toilet is by removing the top and pulling up the tank ball lift by hand. What can I do to solve this problem. Thank...

Toilet tank [ 8 Answers ]

I replaced old toilet and tank with new one. While I was tightening tank bolts I heard crack noise one time so I stopped then I heard crack noise one more time again after I stopped. I checked under tank, under toilet and on floor for couple days but I don’t see any crack or leak. What else I can...

View more questions Search