Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsmitha Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
    OPT-H1B in 2008, got 2008 stimulus in 2009 - HOW?
    Hello,
    My friend's H1-B started on October 1, 2008. Till then he was on OPT. He had full time job for complete 2008. He recently filed taxes for 2008 and got the stimulus payment which he did not qualify for in 2008. Based on what I know he did not pass substantial presence test when he filed 2008 taxes in feb 2008. If he cannot pass the test, he is a non-resident alien for tax purposes right? In that case how did he get stimulus payment? Even the "first years choice" is ruled out? He is not showing his forms which were done at CPA. I cannot afford to pay CPA. I want to help my other friends too. Is there any other trick involved here?
    Thanks in advance.
    RS
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:17 PM

May be your friend filed resident tax return for 2008 and had already spent 5 years of F1.
    rsmitha Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 07:44 PM
    No, he was on F1 for 2 years and OPT for one year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
    If your friend was married to another F-1 student, they may have filed jointly. Since they both had SSNs, they qualified for the RRC.

If he was single, then he simply filed incorrectly. You should tell him that it was incorrect and that he needs to fix it, because it could come back to haunt him should he, at some future point in time, apply for a green card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2009 Business car purchase-write off for 2008? [ 3 Answers ]

We own a small business (S Corp) and are trying to reduce taxes for 2008. Is it possible to purchase a business car now (2009) and use the 179 Election on our 2008 Corporation Return, to write off the entire purchase as a deduction? Or do we need to do this for the 2009 Corp. Returns? Thank you...

OPT, Bought a car in 2008 dec and started payment 2009 [ 3 Answers ]

OPT, Bought a car in 2008 dec and started payment 2009.Do I qualify for any exceptions??

International Law Regarding Euthanasia (2008-2009) [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently writing a research paper about Euthanasia. I need to include the legal status of euthanasia worldwide. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find an updated (2008-2009) or accurate article to provide me with this information. If anyone can find an article that provides this...

F1 status, got married in Dec 2008, Wife came with me in jan 2009 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am in US on F1 student visa from the last 3 years. I went to india in November and got married in December 2008. Then I came back along with my wife in jan 2009. Now I am planning ti file tax return for 2008. I have few questions. 1. Can I claim benefit for my wife and file as MFJ. As...

Income Tax in USA for 2008 - 2009 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm a resident of India and will be immigrating to Ohio - USA in Jan 2008 with my wife(dependent). I'll be travelling on H1B visa with annual salary of $60,000. Could you please let me know the approximate tax that I will have to pay yearly? I've heard that one has to pay 30% flat tax in...

View more questions Search