Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debspat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Wrong size tub trip lever faceplate?
    Hi all. I'm trying to replace a worn looking trip lever faceplate on a bath tub. Seemed like it should be a 10 minute job. HA! The two kits I've bought so far do not fit over the "beveled overflow washer". The old faceplate is larger diameter than both new ones. 3 1/2" vs. 3 1/4" outside diameter. So do I need to replace the "beveled washer" so the new parts fit? I can't find any faceplates that show the actual dimensions on the packaging or on any website. The original tub and parts are from 1970. Thanks to anyone who can help. Pat
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 12:43 PM

I've found that different manufacturer's stuff doesn't interchange. The second issue, which I am more purturbed about is that the one I replaced is impossible for my elderly lady with arthritus to trip. Bending is equally as difficult.

Yes, I do think the actuation force should be specified.

Third, the NEW tripper and drain assembly failed closed within a year. The old one took nearly 50 years to fail

PS: Sorry, I hyjacked this thread slightly.

I fear you might have to replace the entire assembly when you find one that's 3.5" OD.
    debspat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 03:05 PM
    So do I need to replace the "beveled washer" so the new parts fit?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 04:05 PM

Can you show us a picture of your setup? Im thinking you will have to replace the complete waste and overflow assembly, as kiss suggested. But a pic would help us determine this. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Trip Lever Assembly [ 3 Answers ]

I was in the shower today, and noticed the water not draining. I pushed the lever down to stop the water, then put it up to open it all the way. This has fixed it in the past. Today, the plug did not go back up. I was able to use a screwdriver and pull the plug up. Now, when I did that, I pulled...

Trip lever on tub [ 4 Answers ]

The trip lever on my lasco spa tub drain will not move. I have removed the plate and the plastic rod inside will not pull out.

Trip lever in tub won't move [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Last night when I tried to use our tub, I found that the trip lever that moves the plunger closed will not move. After checking several sites, I found out that we have a plunger type of drain. It have the flat cover on the tub drain with no moving part showing in the tub itself. What can...

Replacing trip lever in bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

How can I replace the trip lever in my tub? The handle broke off... inside parts are still good... I just need to connect the new plate to the lever in the inside of the pipe.? Jose

Bathtub Trip Lever [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I purchased our first house two years ago. We are finishing up a bathroom remoldel that we've done 100% ourselves thus far. I refinished the bathtub with 2 part epoxy and it looks great! So great that I would like to replace the 50+ year old trip lever/plate assembly. To my...

View more questions Search