Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fg19537 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Coax in and out on dvd/vcr
    I work 2nd shift so I have 3 dvd/vcrs daisy chained to my TV, all with the old fashioned coax in and out connections. They are old and starting to malfunction. I know I need tuners with anything new I buy, but I don't know how to tell if they have coax in and out from the specs I read on the site product descriptions. Does anyone know what terminology I should be looking for?

Thank you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 09:59 AM

I'd like to get an idea of what your trying to accomplish?

The modern day version of the VCR is the DVR. Combines a tuner(s) and a hard drive.

There is a device called an RF modulator which will convert video into analog channel 4 or channel 4. Digital TV modulators are too expensive at the present time.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 07:23 PM
    I think he has his antenna going into one VCR, then the modulated output of the first VCR going into a second VCR, then the same thing to the third VCR, and finally chaining to the television.

He's able to set the three VCRs to tape different television shows. Since the length of a tape is 2-6 hours (depending on quality), he can tape 6 to 18 hours of television (including commercials, of course).

A DVR would certainly be a cleaner solution to the problem -- especially in systems where you can record multiple programs simultaneously. I'm not sure what else to suggest. The last time I looked (a couple of years ago), DVRs weren't really practical for folks with off-the-air reception.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2009, 07:32 PM

Who says it's OTA. Could be cable.

Here is a revew for one such animal from 2005. I'm sure features and price have come down since.

http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-So...t_189971205764
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2009, 07:39 PM

I didn't mean to suggest that it was off the air -- just that it might be.
    caucun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2009, 08:55 PM
    F_connector
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2009, 05:19 AM

Another way would be a 3 way splitter, into the 3 VCR's, then if the TV has multiple inputs, select the source you want to view, if Tv doesn't have multiple inputs, A/B/C Switch may work.
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3108&sku=41016
    fg19537 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2009, 06:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your knowledgeable answers. I found a refurbished RCA on eBay with the coax and tuners, but it has to be on the cable station you are watching to record (so what good is the tuner?) My option now is to go flea markets and look for old ones that are still working. You guys answered all questions, Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flat Coax Cable [ 3 Answers ]

Do they make a FLat RG6 Cable?

Connecting coax cable [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an older (made in 1994) Hitachi model #50EX6K 60" front projector TV and when I connect the main coax cable to the port on the back, I only receive basic channels (ch.3 - ch. 13). When I change the channel to a cable channel, example: ch. 32, the picture is nothing but snow and all you...

Coax cable and TV hookup [ 2 Answers ]

My coax cable to my TV is not working wile it is grounded. If I just touch the cable to the input on the TV it will get the signal, however once I start to screw the cable on I loose the connection. I also get the same problem wile using an adapter to hook two wires together. If I just touch...

DVD/VCR Combo without Coax input? [ 4 Answers ]

My old VCR died. I'm in the market for a DVD/VCR Combo. Both salesmen I talked to today said that regular DVD/VCR Combo units are no longer made with Coax input, and that the only way I can use the VCR to tape is if I have Digital Cable with a cable box or satellite TV. When I asked if they had...

View more questions Search