Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lperkins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Medical question
    Do patients need to follow the unwritten contract to "follow orders" as directed?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2006, 09:15 AM
    What do you mean "need to"? Of course they do, if they expect the treatment to go as well and as quickly as possible. If you can clarify why you are asking - or what the situation is, we may be able to help more specifically.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Well... for ex, if you are given antibiotics and directed to take it as scheduled until they are gone, and you don't, and then get sicker when the illness comes back meaner, whose fault is it?

Now, are you obligated to follow a docs advice? no. your body, your prerogative. My wife ignored her docs suggestion to have a hysterectomy to prevent painful adhesions. Two years of acupuncture and she's pain free... and I'm a daddy to a little boy. Thankfully in this case she didn't follow the prescribed regimen.

If you have doubts, see other opinions or alternatives. But if you stray, especially with meds, you are messing with your system without the proper knowledge to understand the ramifications.

As mentioned by rickj, what's the issue?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Yes, of course you need to follow doctor's advice. There are occasions like KPs that a second opinion is warranted, however, for the most part you need to follow the "care plan" of your doctor upon discharge.

I don't know your situation, but KP mentioned meds... This is very important especially if it is antibiotics. If the doc tells you to take it for 10 days and you stop taking it when you feel better, say 3 days, then you run the risk of becoming antibiotic resistant. This means that the next time you get the same illness then your body will need a much stronger antibiotic to kill the bacteria.
    Got2no Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 09:22 AM
    What type of doctor do I need to tell me what caused a scar?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 15, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Do you remember any injury to the area? A cut, scrape, bite? Even chickenpox?

I am not sure if a doc could telly you CAUSED a particular scar, but if so, the kind of doctor you would want to see would be a dermatologist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you! Would like to get information on the Pituary Gland. Can anyone help?:o

Medical malpractice ? [ 4 Answers ]

My mom is a dialysis patient in TX and recently she got air in her line and nearly died and the nurse that was responsible never got fired. My question is: Does my mom have a case?

Question about Medical Assisting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I graduated from College in 1994 with an Associates Degree in science, my major, Medical Assisting. Since then I've been home with my kids. I went into a retraining program which included Cardiophlebotomy and a medical assisting techniques class. Now I'm waiting for an internship to...

What is the medical term for... [ 1 Answers ]

I have sensitive skin that can easily react to temperature change, heat, stress, anxiety, embarrassment, and sometimes even touch. Red blotches/marks appear on my face, neck, and upper arms. It appears quickly and takes a while for it to go away. It is not anxiety centered, like it used to be. What...

Medical [ 2 Answers ]

I have dental bill of 973.00 which I am being taken to small claims court for. The court is in NJ and I live in PA. Can they garnish my wages because I do not have the full amount to give them? If so how much are they allowed to garnish my wages for and does it show on my credit report?

View more questions Search