galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 1, 2009, 08:12 AM
    US has ALL the oil it needs, ONSHORE
    - 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
    - 18-times as much oil as Iraq
    - 21-times as much oil as Kuwait
    - 22-times as much oil as Iran
    - 500-times as much oil as Yemen
    - and it's all right here in the Western United States .

Check it out at the link below!!

GOOGLE it or follow this link. It will blow your mind.
    USGS Release: 3 to 4.3 Billion Barrels of Technically Recoverable Oil Assessed in North Dakota and Montana’s Bakken Formation—25 Times More Than 1995 Estimate— (4/10/2008 2:25:36 PM)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:37 AM

If the goal is energy independence then we should be in the short term making use of our known reserves of oil,clean burning natural gas,and coal gasification... as well as utilizing safe and clean burning nuclear powder.

Tilting at windmills and solar power will never be more than a 5-10% solution to our energy needs ;but should become part of our comprehensive grid.

If there are other promising energy solutions to existing resources out there I have not heard of them but if there is ,it is more likey that they will be found in the free market.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    US has ALL the oil it needs, ONSHORE
    Hello gal:

No, we don't. We ARE going to run out. THAT is just so. The quicker we run out, the higher the price, the more these secondary sources become viable. But, at what price? The USCG doesn't speculate. I don't know the price, but I know it will NEVER go down from there.

At SOME price, green technology becomes viable too. It would be my bet that THIS oil will be so expensive to extract, that green technology would be able to compete on price. Consequently, I don't think many people will BUY gasoline cars when they can buy electric cars that'll do the same thing, and NOT pollute. I don't know why they would.

Of course, there'll still be some guys willing to pay through the nose so they can drive their Hummers. You know the guys I'm talking about - the ones with bull balls hanging from the differential. You might be one of 'em.

excon

Apr 1, 2009, 09:15 AM

Ex, it makes me wonder if you read the article.

Did you?

Tom is right about new technologies. On board hydrogen generators are a reality. You can buy a kit for your passenger car or even a large truck that will increase the mileage of the primary fuel drastically. It seems to work even better on disel engines than gasoline. BUT ALL the progress is being made by people working basically in their garages, and small businesses are emerging out of it. A small vehicle has already been run on HHO ONLY, in England, I think.

Wind and solar are a dead end. We need the oil right now.

Let the greens ride their bicycles. I'm too old for that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Let the greens ride their bicycles. I'm too old for that.
    But the majority of citizens aren't too old for that, that's why they care.

Apr 1, 2009, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    But the majority of citizens aren't too old for that, that's why they care.
    I don't know about where you live, but here many people drive 20, 30, or more miles to work, one way.

Would you ride a bicycle that far?

I didn't think so.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Are those the only options in your world? Bicycle or gasoline automobile?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Ex, it makes me wonder if you read the article. Did you?
    Hello gal:

Yes, I did. At least it wasn't one of those winger sites you've sent me to in the past. What did I say that contradicted ANYTHING from the article?

I did notice, that the article consistently referred to the oil "technically" recoverable. That's a red flag, at least to me. I read how they do it. It's not your ordinary well.

Therefore, I became particularly interested in the cost of extraction. The USCG didn't speculate. So, I did. I speculate that recovery of that oil will cost a LOT more than oil from Saudi Arabia.

Therefore, I stand by what I said.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Maybe President Goodwrench should mandate that American cars are made for dual flex fuel technology ,and use some of those trillions of dollars in stimulus pork to get the infrastructure in line for stations to also supply compressed natural gas . We have a small fleet of natural gas vehicles currently on the road. WE know they burn clean and we also know we have one of the world's largest known natural gas reserves.

We are wasting it currently using it to convert to another energy source... electricity... which I assume would power those batteries for the plug in electric cars . (where we would dispose of these batteries is an issue I've never heard addressed ) .

So let's cut out the wasted middle step and instead of questionable electric cars ,let's get natural gas cars on the market to COMPETE with petroleum fueled cars .

But how shall we generate electricity ? France has already proven that a large nation can provide for most of it's electric needs with clean reliable breeder reactor technology. If you are not familiar with them then there are some good internet sites. The best feature is that the fuel is reusable and the actual nuclear waste produced is almost insignificant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search