Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxingtaxes Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 05:28 AM
    B1 tourist visa holder withdrawing money from an IRA
    Hi, I was on a tourist B1 visa for over 183 days in 2008 and did not have any income in US or anywhere else. I only have a bank account in the US, in the form of an IRA retirement account, because I worked legally in the US on an H1B until 2007. In 2008 I withdrew about $6000 to help pay for my stay in the US. I was told that I may have to pay a 10%penalty for early withdrawal. So,
    (1) do I have to file form 1040NREZ for 2008 because I withdrew money from my IRA account? (that was my only source of "income". I also took out an internal loan with TIAACref for ($6k), but they told me that doesn't need to be reported.)
    (2) will I have to pay the 10% penalty?

Thanks for any help!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 29, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Redundant question; already answered.

Yes, you need to file a tax return.

Yes, you will pay taxes on the distribution.

Yes, you will pay the 10% Early Withdrwal Penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can change Tourist visa to Dependency visa in you.S [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If I travelled on tourist visa to U.S and get married there. Is there any way to change my touist visa to Dependent visa there itself.

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Fraud withdrawing deceased money [ 5 Answers ]

Is it fraud if a wife withdraws money from her dead husbands personal accoun?

K1 fiancˇe visa or tourist visa [ 1 Answers ]

1) Which will be easier to get. 2) What will be the dollar amount. 3) How long will they take.

Withdrawing ira money [ 2 Answers ]

1. If I had a choice of opening a reg or ira acct and make withdrawals from the ira acct knowing that I was going to have to pay taxes on early withdrawl plus a 10% penalty tax. And let's assume that I could make 12% in whatever acct. how much above 12% would I need to make it worth my while to...

View more questions Search