Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glamorousbride Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Determing whether something is truly gold?
    Archimedes, a famous Greek scientist, was given a problem by King Hieron II of Syracuse (Sicily). The kind suspected that his crown, which was supposed to be made of pure gold, contained some silver alloy, and he asked Archimedes to prove or disprove his suspicion. (It turned out that the crown did contain silver.) How would you have experimentally determined whether the crown was pure gold?
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Sep 7, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk.

Here is my hint to you for this problem.

What is the name of the chapter or topic that you are currently discussing?

My guess is that your answer can be obtained from that.

Give me your hypothesis and I can let you know if you are going in the right direction.
    glamorousbride Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
    I am in college. I am an elementary education major/english major, and accidentally signed up for the wrong science class and it's too late to switch.

This is just part of a lab report that is to introduce the different measuring equiptment found in the lab.

the text I am using is [Physics, Laboratory Experiments]

My answer is: To determine if the crown is gold, I would have found it's mass and volume and used that to find its density. I would compare my experimental density value with the accepted standard density of gold.
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Sep 7, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Bingo.

A crown with silver in it would not have a density equal to 19.3 g/cm^3
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 7, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Assuming that the crown must not be destroyed, and I had a reliable source of pure gold, I would compare the densities of the crown and the "known" gold. Use water displacement to find the volume of the crown, obtain an equal volume of pure gold, and weigh the two on an accurate balance scale.

Hmm. This appears to be very close to what Archimedes himself did:

http://math.nyu.edu/~crorres/Archime...Vitruvius.html

Nowadays, I'd just huck the thing under an SEM, and perform some EDX analysis on it. Electron Dispersive X-ray measures the wavelength of the photons emitted from excited particles. These wavelengths are directly related to energy levels, which are unique for each atom, thanks to quantum mechanics.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Washer problem [ 15 Answers ]

Hi My model number is GSX9885JQ0 The washer will fill with water but doesn't agitate. The light on the control panel blinks instead of being on solid. It doesn't display an error code on the panel, just shows how much time is left. I also tried unplugging and letting it reset. I also tried using...

Investing in gold [ 12 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possible disaster which might befall the United States. I don't wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold...

New Lab/gold.retriever puppy won't eat [ 9 Answers ]

On Monday I got a mix of a lab & golden retriever. He is about 10.5 weeks old according to the papers they gave me. He has had shots and is supposedly wormed. On Monday just after we got him home he seemed to be fine. He was mild and laid around a lot. I started mixing his food from the shop...

Gold Leafing Furniture [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a water based paint which I can apply to oak furniture which looks like the gold leafing sheets? I have an oak chest with carved flowers and wanted to gold leaf the flowers using a sponge in order to keep the dark lines between the flowers and only paint the top most...

View more questions Search