Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hauptman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Whirlpool Washer: Chain fell between tubs.
    Hi. Had what I hope is a quick question. I have a small metal jewelry chain like for a necklace that accidentally got put in the pocket of a pair of jeans which were later washed.:eek: Just yesterday I discovered the attachment end of the chain just sticking out of one of the holes in the bottom of the washtub.

I carefully removed it but it seems the chain was broken... in half I hope... but perhaps in smaller sections.:(

My question is... assuming it was too heavy to not get pumped out with the water from the wash and that it's still laying inside the two tubs... is there any fairly easy way to get it out?

I'd be happy to provide more details such as make, model, etc. on the washer if needed. It's a fairly basic model with commercial size load, small and extra large load settings on a small dial on the left and the bigger dial for all other functions on the right. It's about 3-4 years old if I remember correctly and is in great shape and having no problems.

I'd just love to be able to get the chain out... hopefully without having to disassemble the entire machine. I've worked on washers and driers before... mostly belt replacement and things of that nature.

Anyhow keeping my fingers crossed and hoping someone can help me out on this one.

Thanks! :)

Hauptman
    kevin71966 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauptman
    Hi. Had what I hope is a quick question. I have a small metal jewelry chain like for a necklace that accidently got put in the pocket of a pair of jeans which were later washed.:eek: Just yesterday I discovered the attachment end of the chain just sticking out of one of the holes in the bottom of the washtub.

I carefully removed it but it seems the chain was broken... in half I hope... but perhaps in smaller sections.:(

My question is... assuming it was too heavy to not get pumped out with the water from the wash and that it's still laying inside the two tubs... is there any fairly easy way to get it out?

I'd be happy to provide more details such as make, model, etc. on the washer if needed. It's a fairly basic model with commercial size load, small and extra large load settings on a small dial on the left and the bigger dial for all other functions on the right. It's about 3-4 years old if I remember correctly and is in great shape and having no problems.

I'd just love to be able to get the chain out... hopefully without having to disassemble the entire machine. I've worked on washers and driers before... mostly belt replacement and things of that nature.

Anyhow keeping my fingers crossed and hoping someone can help me out on this one.

Thanks! :)

Hauptman
    Hey, something I know the answer to!

It's not too big a deal to get to it, will take about 15-30 min.

Remove the front panel of machine, prob 2 screws at the very bottom almost hidden
    Usually the panel drops DOWN to remove

Lift and support the top panel-may need a helper-too much trouble to remove

Remove agitator-one nut in the top under a plastic cap-pull agitator out

There are usually 4 bolts in the bottom holding the outer tub in-it may be stuck with soap buildup-give it a few gentle whacks-easy to break plastic tub-I did(dont use anything metal)

There's your chain, it can't go anywhere because of the drain screens
    Good time to clean those screens with hot water and a brush

Clean spindle while you're at it-prob has a lot of soap scum

Put it all back together

It's not as bad as it sounds-take your time and don't get frustrated
    yamitza23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2009, 06:24 PM
    I have the same situation, only that is a gold chain worth more than my roper refurbished washer... LOL! Can you please let me know if this worked for you? I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washer agitates but will not spin! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool washing machine Model LSR8244EQ1 Heave Duty Super Capacity Plus Imperial 8 cycle / 2 speed The washer fills and agitates but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. I checked to make sure no clothes were wrapped around the agitator but the agitator moves freely. I...

Whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0 [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, New here. I have a whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0, that will not agitate but will rinse and spin out. It tries to agitate but makes a loud noise and only goes in one direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated. schins

Whirlpool washer leaves ring of oil [ 5 Answers ]

My 2 year old Whirlpool washer leaves an oil ring in the washer tub and on the agitator. I know it's the machine leaving the oil because I cleaned the oil ring off after each of several loads of clothes and the oil ring always returned. What is my machines problem if anyone out there knows?

Whirlpool washer [ 8 Answers ]

I just purchased a motor coupling for my washer but do not know how to install it can someone please tell me how to. Thank you.:

Whirlpool clothes washer-tub overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My whirlpool washer (about 8 years old) oerflowed last night. Apparently the water didn't automatically stop when the tub/basket was filled. We have an upstairs laundry and what a mess. Is this a simple thing to repair or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

View more questions Search