Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colin1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Batteries in children's toys
    I have been noticing that instructions in several battery operated children's toys state not to use re-chargeable batteries. I am wondering if anyone knows why this is. With all the battery operated toys now on the market, I find it much more economical to use rechargeables, but of course would not want to risk safety. Is this a ploy to sell more batteries, or is there a specific reason for the restriction around rechargeables?
    Also, I wonder if anyone has experience around rechargeable alkalines.. I bought some at a good price (pure energy xl) and would like to put them to the test with my toddlers toys..

Colin
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 7, 2006, 06:45 PM
    Rechargeable batteries are okay to use in most toys. The exception is when they toy has low power requirements and will sit idle for long periods.

Speaking technically - Rechargeable loose their charge much more quickly over time than standard disposable batteries. Older rechargeable batteries also drain much more quick than standard disposable batteries. You don't normally put a rechargeable battery into a clock or smoke detector. The same principle applies to certain toys.

From a marketing point of view - Rechargeable batteries can shorten the amount of play time a child will have with certain toys. Every kid hates it when the batteries go dead in a toy...

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charging Batteries In Series [ 13 Answers ]

TK, Got a question. I have two 12 volt batteries in series that run a 24 volt scooter motor. What kind of a adapter do I have to have to charge two 12 volt batteries hooked in series? A 12 volt one or a 24 volt one? I charged the scooter last night with a 12.5volt/3amp. Adapter but this morning...

Car batteries [ 8 Answers ]

I had quick question as to what you guys thought about car batteries and what I should look for when purchasing. Specifically, I wanted to know if I should be concerned with the cold cranking amps as much. For example, should I buy one that has 770 over one that has 675 if I could get the lower...

Batteries Keep Going Out [ 2 Answers ]

I've just started to have a problem with my thermostat losing battery power. This is actually shutting down my heat. I have put fresh batteries in twice over the last two weeks, reprogrammed the thermostat - only to have it happen again today. Is this the thermostat going bad?

Batteries [ 1 Answers ]

Any one here know about batteries, I am looking to find out about 2- 6V batteries hooked up in parallel. Wanting to know the total amperage if each is xxx. Do they add? (CCA and CA) Jerry

View more questions Search