Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kuo0715 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Wait and file first year choice or go ahead file as a non-resident alien
    Dear TAx Expert,

I was on F1/OPT until July 30th and changed to H-1B on August 25th. I earned less than 4,500.00 during my OPT and had a total income of 16000 on H-1B. Should I file an extension and make First Year Choice after I pass the SPT or just go ahead to file the tax return as a non-resident alien now? Which way will I get the most tax refund? Thank you.

In addition, I have a W2 from NYC (H1B) and a 1099-MISC (F1/OPT) from Philadelphia. Can I file the state income for Philadelphia for only 1099-MISC and State income for NYC for W2 form?

By the way, I would love to thank tax experts and this forum. This is the first year I have income and have to file tax return. I gained a lot of information after I read this forum. Thanks a lot.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 01:45 PM

If you are not married, then you should file nonresident tax return.
    Yes, income earned while is PA is reported to PA and income earned while in NY is reported to NY. Read about F1/H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First Year Choice - When will I become a Resident Alien? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would really appreciate your answers to a couple of my questions. Here is my background with regards to my visa status and presence in the United States: Aug 2006 to Feb 2008 - F1 Student Jun 2008 to Sep 2008 - F1 student working on OPT Oct 1st 2008 to Current - I am on H1 visa

Non-Resident, did not file 8843, filed as a resident alien [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a big mess here. I came to the US on Dec. 27th 2000 as an international student. I am still an international student but have filed for my Green Card through a family petition. Tax filing year Form-Filed 2001 -------------1040ez 2002--------------1040ez...

Should I file 1040nr or first year choice [ 2 Answers ]

I came to United States to work on 15th Oct 2007 (entered the country on 29th Sep 2007). Obviously I am a non-resident alien for tax year 2007. Just wondering can I use first year choice and get more deduction on tax? I will only become a resisent at the end of May 2008 according to the...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

First Year Choice (did anyone file yet) [ 5 Answers ]

I came to US on F1 and during 2006 I was on: OPT Jan 2006 - Aug 2006 H1 Oct 2006 - Dec 2006. Thus making me a dual status for 2006. But reading posts on this forum I believe I can take advantage of First Year Choice since I am married. I filed an...

View more questions Search