Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetBeth Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2009, 12:52 PM
    Can my boss tell me I can't smoke in my own vehicle?
    I work in an insurance office, where there is myself and two other employees (all three of us are smokers) and then my boss makes 4 people,she however does not smoke. As of right now we have a designated smoking area which is in the back of our building, where no one see's us. Here's my concern, come September this year my boss is trying to inforce a rule that says we can no longer smoke on her property,which is fine(it's her property) but part of the new rule will be that we can't even sit in our own car and smoke. Can she do that? Tell us we can't smoke in our own vehicle?? Does she have any authority over this?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 01:01 PM

I believe if she doesn't want you to smoke on property it doesn't matter if you are in your car or on the roof. If you are smoking on her property against her demands she could do what she wants.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 01:02 PM

If your car is parked on her property and she doesn't want you smoking on her property, yes, she can enforce the rule.

If your car is parked anywhere else you can certainly smoke in it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 01:05 PM

Hello Sweet:

Does she pay for your health insurance?? She DOES?? Pretty soon, she's going to have to you STOP smoking entirely, or lose your job..

No, I don't know her. But, I've met her.

excon
    SweetBeth Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2009, 01:16 PM

Excon:

No she does not pay my health insurance,she offers no health to any of her employees,yeah go figure I work in insurance but I have NONE! Ha
    123Ist Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 01:38 PM

You might be going out to smoke to many times, and she can smell the smoke on you, and it's her rules, so just drive your car out for lunch and smoke! Am a smoker.
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Since your boss is the owner of the property that she is restricting her employees to smoke, it is entirely her prerogative to do so.

I see two reasons she told you not to smoke in her property.

1. She is so concerned about your health. You know the bad effects of it, right?
    2. She couldn't just command you to already quit smoking. Maybe she doesn't like the smell of cigarettes, just like other people.

This is only my own opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Toyota Duet Smoke excessive smoke emission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have problem with too much emission of smoke. Even more excessive smoke in the morning. Can't even see anyone around the vehicle!! Took it to toyota for diagnostics they discovered valve seal leaked and oil dropping on top of number 1 piston. Have changed the valve seals but still same...

Me and my boss ? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boss playd around a lot yesterday for the first time. I went down to his house for a coffee which was totally normal because we have always been close and I always come and talk to him about a lot of things. We started 2 talk and the topics led to sex / sex toys, He showed me a couple of...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Who's the Boss? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the Boss The boss was complaining in our staff meeting the other day that he wasn't getting any respect. The next day, he brought a small sign that read: "I'm the Boss!" He then taped it to his office door. Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had...

View more questions Search