Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 05:20 AM
    Science saving the world from cattle flatulence
    The Telegraph tells us now that scientist have discovered that Cows which are fed omega 3 fatty acids belch out less greenhouse gases that cause climate change

Fish oils reduce greenhouse emissions from 'flatulent cows' - Telegraph

Dr Lorraine Lillis has discovered that cows fart less when fed fish oil, especially those rich in Omega 3 acids.

Speaking at the Society for General Microbiology meeting in Harrogate, Dr Lorraine Lillis, one of the researchers, said the study could help the agriculture industry cut emissions. She said: “The fish oil affects the methane-producing bacteria in the rumen part of the cow’s gut, leading to reduced emissions.
    “Understanding which microbial species are particularly influenced by changes in diet and relating them to methane production could bring about a more targeted approach to reducing methane emissions in animals.” The UK is committed to cutting greenhouse gases by 80 per cent by 2050.
    I routinely take Omega 3 as part of my regimin . I assure you that it has not prevented my methane emissions which become more troublesome when I reduce my beef consumption and replace it with legumes. But then again;I isn't a cow.
    I wonder... when President Obama's 500 staff entourage ;including 200 secret service staff ,a six doctor medical team, and a team from the White House kitchen arrive in London today will his carbon footprint be measured ? He will arrive equipt with Air Force One,a customised Boeing 747-200B , an armour-plated limousine(known as The Beast... equipt with night-vision camera ,an armored gas tank filled with foam to prevent explosion ,puncture proof tires ,pump-action shotguns, tear-gas cannon, oxygen tanks and bottles of the president's blood) and a fleet of decoy VH-3D helicopters(fitted with flares that can be fired to confuse heat-seeking missiles ).

When he finishes at the G-20 summit he will take his carbon creating road show to France, Germany and the Czech Republic.

Me ? I am subject to a fine if I don't sort my recyclables properly .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 10:28 AM
    I started feeding my dogs a fish and sweet potato dog food that's loaded with Omega 3's and I haven't noticed a decline in their production of flatulence. I wonder if feeding cows all that lowers the fat content (flavor, juiciness and tenderness) of the beef?
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Before long you'll probably be subject to a fine if your tires aren't properly inflated. No word yet on the penalty for having a low tire on a black car.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 02:10 PM

Hello tom:

If memory serves, cow farts were once promoted as fuel - now they're pollutants??

This crazy country.

excon
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Mar 31, 2009, 02:19 PM

Excon,

That ain't all.

Supposedly CO2, which is produced by respiration and which promotes plant growth is a polutant as well. Never has been before, but it is now.

Then there's the largest greenhouse gas, which is water vapor. So now water is a polutant too.

It ain't the country that's gone crazy. It's just a certain segment of the country.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 02:53 PM
    Where've you been ex, smoking something? The UN determined that cow "emissions" were more dangerous to the planet than cars three years ago.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    excon,

That ain't all.

Supposedly CO2, which is produced by respiration and which promotes plant growth is a polutant as well. Never has been before, but it is now.

Then there's the largest greenhouse gas, which is water vapor. So now water is a polutant too.

It ain't the country that's gone crazy. It's just a certain segment of the country.

Elliot
    Greenhouse gas =/= pollutant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baby flatulence [ 18 Answers ]

My baby has severe flatulence after every breast feed. It wakes him up at night and causes him great discomfort. Any advice on how to help him? He is 11 weeks old.

At a cattle market. [ 1 Answers ]

AT A CATTLE MARKET. Three countrymen met at a cattle market. "Look here," said Hodge to Jakes, "I'll give you six of my pigs for one of your horses, and then you'll have twice as many animals here as I've got." "If that's your way of doing business," said Durrant to Hodge, "I'll give you...

Flatulence smell when furnace starts up [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Armstrong Air Tech 91 electric/gas propane furnace and it has attached AC. When it starts up in the last 3 to 4 weeks it has a flatulence smell I guess is the best way to describe it. It lingers for a bit after it shuts off then disappears. I don't hink the system is dirty but I could be...

Global Warming and Cattle Flatulence [ 6 Answers ]

Well the consensus is in . Drive your SUV all you want to . But whatever you do ,don't eat that burger!! Eating beef ' is less green than driving' - Telegraph Yup the French ski resorts areall muddy due to cow farts . This may not be what the Global Warming Alarmists want to hear ;but...

View more questions Search