Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mealbr Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 02:32 AM
    In-Wall Washing Machine Manual Shut-off Valve Leaks Into Washing Machine
    My hot water automatic shut-off valve on my washing machine started gushing water. So I figured no problem, I would turn off the water at the in-wall manual shut off valve for the washing machine. But even when I turn it all the way off, it leaks. It leaks into the hose going to the washing machine and eventually the washing machine fills up with water.

I've taken photos of the shut-off valve so you can see the exact type.

I don't know anything about plumbing, so please be as specific as you can. And, please, if this is a fix where I need to turn off the main water valve into the entire house, please let me know that.

Once you open this page, you can click on the image that comes up to get an enlargement:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/zlw36a.jpg

Thank you very much for any assistance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 31, 2009, 07:52 AM
    If the stop's leaking then it's a good bet the washer's shot. To replace the washer shut the water off at the house shut off and open the stop 1/4 turn. Take a wrench and unscrew nut# C. This will give you the stem and washer assembly. Take the washer or the assembly in and replace the washer. But before you do that check the seat for nicks or rough spots if you find any the valve must be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 07:53 AM

You have two different valves both leaking on the same line. The washer has a solenoid operated valve that is not closing all the way. The spout you show in the pic has a bad washer. The spout is the easiest to fix but both should be addressed. Did you notice both A and B are pointing at the same nut? Lets start by finding the house main and closing it, with your luck it will leak too. Back to you
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 08:34 AM

Like Milo says you have two valves leaking, the wall shut off valve is easy to fix, shut off the main valve to the house, disconnect the hose from the valve use two wrenches hold the body of the valve and loosen the nut marked C turn it counter clock wise remove the stem and take it with you to a plumbing supply store get an new washer and replace it you also need to replace the automatic shut off valve at the machine, good luck.

John

Mar 31, 2009, 09:26 AM

John, I'm Italian now?? LOL

Mar 31, 2009, 06:21 PM

Thank you so much for the answers!!

As for my luck and the house main leaking, fortunately, the water company would have to fix that as that's their shut-off valve and I'll have to get them out here to shut it off so I can do this. (I took a look at it. It's hooked up to cables and a transmitter and I don't want to mess up their equipment.)
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:12 PM

I am lost how could it be the water company issue, can some one clearify this for me,Thanks.

John

Mar 31, 2009, 07:29 PM
    Hope I can explain it clearly.

My house doesn't have a "house" shut-off valve. The only way to turn the water off to the entire house is at the water meter buried in the front yard. That belongs to the water company.

So, if a homeowner needs the water turned off for maintenance, we call the water company and arrange for them to come out and turn it off and they come back later to turn it back on. (There's no charge).

Years ago, before they hooked up the cables and the transmitter, if you had the correct tool you could turn it on & off yourself. (It required something with a specially shaped head.)

But I checked and that "slot" where the head used to fit is gone replaced (or hidden) by the cables and transmitter. I'm sure a professional plumber knows how to turn it off. But that's not something I'm going to fool with and risk damaging their equipment. So I'll have to call and make an appointment for them to come out.

Hope that clarifies things. Thanks again for the help.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 07:41 PM

Now I understand your problem, once the water is shut off to your house then you will fix your leaking valves, good luck.

I am not sure in your area if it is allowed to have a shut off valve between your house and the meter if it is allowed I would suggest to install one, Thanks.

John

Apr 1, 2009, 08:17 AM

I would agree that another shut of just inside the house is a wise and safe idea. I would install one right now as soon as they shut you down. Then you can fix you other two faulty valves at your own pace. Like Tom said in post #2 you can fix the supply faucet fairly easily. Your original problem is still the washer and that is most easily fixed by replacing the entire valve and fill solenoid assembly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need washing machine manual and motor [ 1 Answers ]

I need a manual for a Maytag Performa Washing machine and a new motor to turn the drum and water pump

GE washing machine (149.0)--use with manual water fill [ 1 Answers ]

Live with a cistern and am trying washing machine without water hookups---haul water to put in the top. Cannot get the start cycle triggered even with knobs in right place and can hear sound of electricity turned on (will shoot the water OUT if go to THAT part of cycle, but will not begin...

Leaking washing machine water supply shut off valve [ 8 Answers ]

How do you repair a water supply valve that is leaking. It is the valve that connects the water supply to my washing machine. The leak occurs when I shift the lever from off to on and vice versa.

Washing machine leaks when filling [ 1 Answers ]

Troubleshooting tips for a Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine that leaks water when filling? Do you think it's the pump? Can it be a home repair? Thanks!

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

View more questions Search