Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigD Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Falling rock
    Hello every body I have this one question that I can't seem to solve. I know the answer is 52m but I can't seem to derive this answer even after trying different method and formula. Can some one help me answer it. Thank so much. It need to be solve through kinematic formula.

A rock is dropped from a seacliff and the sound of it stricking the ocean is heard 3.4 seconds later. If the speed of sound is 340m/s, how high is the cliff?

Can someone help me and can you show the steps so I can be able to solve other problems like this one.Thank You
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 10:36 PM
    I cannot get an answer that matches your answer of 52m, but here's my reasoning to the point of getting nowhere, if your answer is correct.

if you are assuming that the person who heard the rock hit is at the top of the cliff, then it isn't as easy as simply (340m/s)(3.4s) = distance.

the reason is that the 3.4s is the total time... with two different processes. Time down is tied to the rate of acceleration due to gravity. Time up is tied to the speed of sound. Does it make sense that the rock will spend a lot more of the 3.4 s falling than the time for the sound to travel back up? So really, the distance for the sound part is (340m/s)(time total - time down)

which is d = (340m/s)(3.4 - time down) = 1156m - (340m/s)time down

okay... so if you want to solve for d then you need to plug into time down.

you also know that d = v(initial)*t + 1/2at^2

plugging in d = (0)t + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2

= d = 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2

so now you have d expressed in terms of time down by two equations. Combine.
    1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2 = 1156m - (340m/s)t

okay... looks like a quadratic if you rearrange

-4.9t^2 + 340t - 1156 = 0

solve for quadratic and I get 3.58m or 65.8m as the two roots.

played around with signs too and I don't get your numbers. Oh well...
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 7, 2006, 05:52 PM
    kp, when equating d=vt-vtfall to d=1/2a(tfall)^2, you put an extra minus sign in front of the t^2 term. Also, when you solve the quadratic (and get about 3.24s), that gives you tfall, not the distance. You still have to sub back into d=1156-340*tfall to get the distance.

I approached it from a different tack:

ttotal = tfall + tnoise
    t = sqrt(2d/a) + d/v
    vt - d = sqrt(2d/a)
    d^2 - 2vtd + v^2t^2 = 2d/a
    d^2 + (2/a - 2vt)d + v^2t^2 = 0
    Solve for d directly.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatos
    kp, when equating d=vt-vtfall to d=1/2a(tfall)^2, you put an extra minus sign in front of the t^2 term. Also, when you solve the quadratic (and get about 3.24s), that gives you tfall, not the distance. You still have to sub back into d=1156-340*tfall to get the distance.

I approached it from a different tack:

ttotal = tfall + tnoise
    t = sqrt(2d/a) + d/v
    vt - d = sqrt(2d/a)
    d^2 - 2vtd + v^2t^2 = 2d/a
    d^2 + (2/a - 2vt)d + v^2t^2 = 0
    Solve for d directly.

thanks for the tips. I threw in the - and took it out at other times when I was working the problems to see if that made a difference... since sometimes you would use it in some problems.

I don't see how setting up for d as I did would have terms of s. everyplace I set up an equation the s terms on bottom were cancelled by those on top. I just don't see it tonight. Maybe tomorrow it'll jump out.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 8, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Look at http://www.haverford.edu/educ/knight...ccelarator.htm

I'm close but my schoolboy (long time ago) maths is not up to the job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair falling out [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , My problem is commonly found these days in youth. I'm 26 now and have smoked for many years. But currently I stopped smoking from the past couple of months. For the past couple of years my hair started falling severely and almost getting into bald head now. I'm sure smoking could be...

Everything is falling apart... [ 32 Answers ]

Okay... so I don't know exactly where this question belongs so I am putting it here. Please bear in mind that I need any and all points of view here. My husband told me today about an idea he had about earning money. He said that if he goes to work for a company in another province, he could...

My hair is falling out [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming out...

I'm falling apart.. . [ 9 Answers ]

I don't know if anyone has read my first post I listed, but over the weekend, I had a nervous breakdown and went to the hospital. Luckily, I didn't have to stay because I'm not suicidal, but they did prescribe some anti-depressants and some sleeping pills. I just feel truly heartbroken and on...

Falling in Love... [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so I've liked this guy since like 2nd grade. And I dinally just told him like 5-6 months ago while walking home with him (except he didn't know I was walking home with him, he just happened to think we were walking in the same direction) and then when he turned to his neighborhood I said OK...

View more questions Search