Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srpkc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 05:34 PM
    Accounting for relocation expenses
    Is it acceptable under US GAAP to accrue for relocation costs or must I expense them as incurred?
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 1, 2009, 02:25 PM

When you accrue an expense, it means the activity has occurred, but the cash transfer hasn't happened yet. By the same token, in your question, to accrue for relocation costs, is the same as expense it as it occurred. Dr. Expense, Cr. Payable. There is no either/or for two identical things.

I guess you meant to ask: should I accrue the expense (expense as it occurred) or should I record it when I paid for it. Yes, Under US GAAP, you need to make an accrual entry.
    lmwheeler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Can relocation expenses for a business be capitalized and then amortized over a period similar to startup costs or must they be expensed at the time incurred?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocation expenses deduction [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from MA to CA for a new job in 2006. I was on H1 whole of 2006 and will be filing as a resident. My employer gave me 3000$ as relocation assistance, which is not shown on my W2. However on my salary slip it says I was given $5000 and after tax, I guess, it became $3000. Can I claim...

Relocation Expenses & Deductions [ 4 Answers ]

I was relocated from the west coast to the east coast. My company paid for the whole move plus some. They reported $4100 in box 12 as excludable income. The rest $18,000 for moving my household goods, cars, and my cost of moving lodging and mileage was included as income in box 1. They also...

Employment and Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

I worked in FL for 6 months last year while the family remained in MA. In December I left the job in FL for an opportunity in MA. We were in the process of relocating but my spouses situation with her employer changed and could no longer make the move. During this time I incurred significant...

F1+CPT+ Relocation expenses [ 1 Answers ]

HI Atlanta Tax Expert! I am a student (Indian nationality) on F1( less the 2 years) and I am going to wrk on CPT in San Diego from July till Dec and thereafter either on h1 or on OPT. I was wondering what will be the tax rate applicable to my relocation allowance? Also, what net tax rate...

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search