Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Controlling mother making daughter phyisically sick
    My Mother in-law moved to our area in November. We moved her here because her daughter couldn't handle things anymore and her health was in question. My husband handles the finance and she lives at a great apartment that she loves (not a nursing home) it is 1/2 mile from our home. My sister came to visit 10 days ago(both her Mother and us) she was great and everything was wonderful the first 2 days and then everything started to go downhill. Her Mother is so controlling that I believe that my sister is getting sick from the stress. Their Mother will follow her as much as possible (with a walker) and if my sister isn't around (like in the bathroom, 2 doors away) her Mother will call her and ask her where she is. My sister sorry (in-law) I always loved her like a sister has mentioned that her Mother has told her that she cannot get a job because her job is taking care of her Mother, because her Mother took care of her. Now Sister lives on the East coast and Mother and Brother and I live on the West coast.
    Back to my problem, she woke up yesterday to get on the plane and she was so ill that we were not sure if she could get on the plane to go back home. All her joints hurt and she could barely move. I don't know if she is feeling so guilty that she gets sick or maybe her Mother makes her sick, or maybe she just got the flu. It's not the first time this has happened and she is in therapy.
    Her Mother has mentally worn me out before, but I have never got sick.
    Any opinion would be helpful.
    ibrown Posts: 61, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2009, 08:35 PM

Im not an expert but yea this could be from the stress.I have a controlling mother and when she gets me upset I fell sick and sometimes have anxiety attacks.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
    OK, this is an old thread, but it was mine.
    It's been almost a year since Mom in law has come to live. Sister is not doing much better.

She is planning on coming to visit, hasn't been here since May. At 7:15 pm her time she was too worn out to attempt to go online and get airline tickets, because her brother (my husband) has worn her out running around for the last three days. She last saw him on Monday around noon. Today is Wednesday. Does it take that long to recover from a visit? I know that for me I have to change sheets and clean things, but that wouln't be her problem and I would have had it done before night fall.

She does not work or have any hobbies, she has a house cleaner. She has told me she has nothing to do at all.

What do you think is wrong with her? It's obviously not her Mother, that I thought it was before, or maybe she still hasn't got over it yet?

She was never like this when she was younger. She is 53, but looks like she is 35 or younger. Always looked healthy, but complains all the time about health issues.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 17 year old daughter has a controlling boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter, who is 17 has been dating this "guy" on and off for @ 2 years. He is very controlling, and manipulative. He is a high school drop out, lives at home, blows all his money, lives from moment to moment. In other words, the future is very bleak. I am sorry but love won't pay the power...

Controlling opinionated daughter in law [ 1 Answers ]

Role reversal! I thought I was supposed to get this image! My daughter in law (stepson's wife) hates me & thinks I am a bad parent. I'm still raising a 10 yr old and our 20 yr old just moved out on his own. He probably bad-mouthed me to her in the past and now she thinks I was awful with him....

Could my A/c be making me sick [ 2 Answers ]

When my husband and I moved in to our apartment, we didn't use the a/c unit for the first 4 or 5 months. Once we started using it, I started having a sinus infection and can't seem to get completely over it. We are on our third a/c unit because they keep getting burned up. Today, the technician...

Controlling Overbearing Mother [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine (seriously it's not me lol) has the most controlling mother ever, she has a set time to be home, a set bedtime where she's actually forced to go to sleep. Her mom calls her about 20 times a day and asks her a million questions and my friend just does everything she says and answers...

Mother/Daughter conflict over sick grandmother [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness. My mother who is not handling it well at all, continues to deny that she is going to die and behaves as if everything is going to be OK. In doing so, she continues to call me for every little, umimportant thing (not relative to her...

View more questions Search