Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Newyorkelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Thinking about growing out my grey
    Greetings from a newbie!

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm close to 100% grey and have been coloring my hair for close to 30 years. I'm thinking about letting it come in, since I'm fairly young looking & live in So. Cal where no one is allowed to be grey so it could be striking in a Taylor Hicks kind of way ;)

I'm leaning towards using a temporary color until it grows out, since I can't deal with the roots as it is & I can't wear caps all the time.

Currently, it's shoulder length & I'd prefer not to cut it . If it helps, its natural color is a chestnut brown, and I have hazel eyes & am usually somewhat tan.

Any advice would be great, since my friends & family aren't on board. (I think it makes them feel old! :p )

Thanks!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 6, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Welcome newbie! I did exactly what you are considering. My hair stylist thought I was nuts when I asked her to make me "look old" LOL. But the pretty silver that was arriving highlighted the darker ash blonde beautifully so she is simply highlighting my hair just like it until it all grows out. A modern cut and voila-- it makes me look younger actually since my face looks too young for the older hair. I think overly young looking hair makes many women's faces look old. Most people are surprised to hear I am 52. I like how natural it is!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 09:18 PM
    I say do what you want.

My wife is italian, and the women on her side tend to start to gray lightly in the teens... and some guys are gray in the 20's. She dyes it now, and will likely do so for years to come, but I think shed look great with a mixed blend or fully gray. Shell never do it though... at least not for another decade or two.

Its just hair. You can always change your mind. I worked with a woman who did exactly what you are thinking and I thought it was striking.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 10, 2006, 10:28 PM
    Newyorkelle, you can use a semi-permanent color to cover gray temporarily, or to change your overall color temporarily.

If you do plan to go all gray, remember that going gray does take time. Once you decide to take the plunge, you won't have a head of silvery hair overnight, but in time you'll achieve the look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 30ft X 8ft wire fence at the bottom of my garden which I wish to cover in climbing plants, IVY has been suggested. Can you suggest an IVY that will grow at the speed of light and cover my fence and which is hardy, also how many would I need to plant and how far apart for the fence to be...

Grey Hair - Premature [ 3 Answers ]

What causes grey hair, besides the commonly known strees, inherited, lack of melanin in hair? Is lack of protein one of the cause? What is the remedies to cure grey hair. I have try vit B, it doesn't work for me any more. I found that dye hair will cause more grey hair for people like us who...

Grey Water Regs For Hawaii & you.S. Virgin Islands? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm thinking of building a small vacation home in either the US Virgin Islands or the Big Island of Hawaii. Water is scarce in both places and you need to use a rain catchment system. It would seem to make sense to use your grey water rather than dump it into a cesspool or septic tank. It would...

Growing Ivy [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large hill covered with ivy and want to make it look as good as possible. Is there an easy way to keep weeds out? Also, should I ever fertilize ivy? Thanks.. Brian??

View more questions Search