Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dskj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Taxes on Retirement investments
    My spouse and I are doing some retirement planning and we need to compare the financial difference between drawing out payments from one of the following two investment scenarios.

1. Investing a lump sum $400,000 into a conservative retirement portfolio at age 65 and drawing off the investment for retirement income ($'s would be from the sale of a cabin property). Vs. 2. Drawing off retirement income from a Roth IRA that has grown to $400,000 by age 65.

Questions:
    1. What is a realistic rate of return I can expect from the lump some invested at age 65?
    2. What are the differences between the taxes I will face when I go to draw off retirement income from the two investments?
    3. What are the different annual tax implications for each investment?
    4. What is the best type of investment for the lump sum scenario that minimizes tax losses yet allows me to draw out retirement income.
    5. Will you please include any estimates of likely tax rates I will face or the percentage of investment returns I should forecast for either scenario?

6. One final question: We can lock in a rate of return at 6% (guaranteed) for 30 yrs and the annual amount invested stays within the fixed assets portion of our retirement investment portfolio. Is this a fair /good deal or should we invest in something else to meet this fixed assets portion of my portfolio?

Thanks for your help on this,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
    1) Answer depends on your risk tolerance. I cannot realistically answer without a LOT more information about you, your spouse and your other sources of income.

2) Money from a ROTH IRA is totally tax-free. Other income, like an annuity, is subject to income taxes. The rate depends on your total income.

3-5) Insufficient information to answer accurately.

6) I would have to examine the investment package in detail before I can comment on whether it is a good deal or not. It sounds like an annuity, which may or may not be a good idea. Again, I simply do not know enough about you to answer.

You really need to consult with a fee-only financial planner. I suspect a commission-based financial planner is offering you the 6% plan. It may be a great plan, but I would not trust the word of someone who may be drawing a large commission (about two years' worth of premiums) to sell you the package. A fee-only financial planner works for YOU alone, not for a commission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving to India - Tax question on investments [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I will be moving to India in summer of 2008. I have close to 50K invested in mutual funds. What are the issues I need to worry about in terms of taxes? Would it be better to move the investment to India to avoid complications? This would not be my preferred choice since some of the funds...

Year-End Asset Summary (Investments) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: We have $1029 in an investment company. This amount is divided 1/3rd each into Global Funds, Value Funds and Income funds. There is a value increase of $46 at the year end. Where should I show this amount? Should it be shown in Form 1099-INT or Form 1099-DIV or any other. Thanks in advance...

Investments - Web addresses? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I'm looking for a website that gives details on top savings returns on, lets say, deposit accounts. I'm located in Dublin, but most probably be moving to Minnesota (St Paul) next year, and wanted to look at banks providing good returns on deposits. Also, does anyone know what the rate of...

View more questions Search