Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blush me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Manufacturing overhead
    Kamloops Manufacturing Sdn Bhd has just completed a major change in its quality control (QC) process. Previously, products had been reviewed by QC inspectors at the end of each major process, and the company’s 10 QC inspectors were charged as direct labor to the operation or job. In an effort to improve efficiency and quality, a computerised video QC system was purchased for RM250,000. The system consists of a mini-computer, 15 vedio cameras, other peripheral hardware, and software. The new system uses cameras stationed by QC engineers at key points in the production process. Each times an operation changes or there is a new operation, the cameras are moved, and a new master picture is loaded into the computer by a QC engineer. The camera takes pictures of the units in process, and the computer compares them to the picture of a “good” unit. Any differences are sent to a QC engineer, who removes the bad units and discusses the flaws with the production supervisors. The new system has replaced the 10 QC inspectors with two QC engineers.
    The operating costs of the new QC system, including the salaries of the QC engineers, have been included as factory overhead in calculating the company’s plantwide manufacturing-overhead rate, which is based on direct-labor dollars. The company’s president is confused. His vice president of production has told him how efficient the new system is. Yet there is a large increase in the overhead rate. The computation of the rate before and after automation is as follows:

Before After
    Budgeted manufacturing overhead ………… RM1,900,000 RM2,100,000
    Budgeted direct-labor cost …………………. 1,000,000 700,000
    Budgeted overhead rate ……………………. 190% 300%

“300%! How can we compete with such a high overhead rate?” lamented the president.
    Required:

1. a. Define “manufacturing overhead” and cite three examples of typical costs that
    Would be included in manufacturing overhead.

b. Explain why companies develop predetermined overhead rates.

2. Explain why the increase in the overhead rate should not have a negative financial impact on Kamloops Manufacturing Sdn Bhd.

3. Explain how Kamloops Manufacturing could change its overhead application system to eliminate confusion over product costs.

4. Discuss how an activity-based costing system might benefit Kamloops Manufacturing Sdn Bhd.

Help me please... :confused:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 30, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to copy your homework to AMHD.
    Please refer to this announcement: Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help
    blush me Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 07:53 AM
    I did anwer this question.. but only up to until question 2. and I need help for the question after that.. by the way, this is my actual answer.. and I'm not sure it's correct or wrong..

1) a) Manufacturing overhead consists of all manufacturing costs other than direct labour, direct materials and direct expenses. It therefore includes all indirect manufacturing labour and managerial costs plus indirect manufacturing expenses. It also refers to indirect factory-related costs that are incurred when a product is manufactured. The three examples are the salaries of the QC engineers, the production supervisors and the computerised video QC system.

b) It is used to apply overhead to jobs. If actual manufacturing overhead cost is applied to jobs, then the company must wait until the end of the accounting period to apply overhead and to cost jobs. If the company computes the actual overhead rates more frequently to get around this problem, the rates may fluctuate widely. Overhead cost tends to be incurred somewhat evenly from month to month (due to the presence of fixed costs), whereas production activity often fluctuates. The result would be high overhead rates in periods with low activity and low overhead rates in periods with high activity. For these reasons, most companies use predetermined overhead rates to apply overhead cost to jobs.

2) When automated equipment (a computerised video QA system) replaces direct labor (QC inspectors), overhead increases and direct labor decreases. This results in an increase in the predetermined overhead rate – particularly if it is based on direct labor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Manufacturing Overhead [ 1 Answers ]

I can't figure out how to calculate manufacturing overhead applied to production. The company has determined that each drive requires one casing and one circuit with costs of $10 and $25, respectively. In addition it requires 0.6 hours of labor to manufacture a single flash drive. The current lavor...

Manufacturing Overhead [ 1 Answers ]

How do I calculate Manufacturing Overhead. And now predetermine overhead. Just manufacturing overhead.

Manufacturing overhead [ 2 Answers ]

Need help on this question... explain how manufacturing overhead costs are accumulated and how they are assigned to products in a job order system

Manufacturing overhead [ 1 Answers ]

Company's manufacturing overhead is 20% of it's total conversion cost. If direct labor is $45,000 and direct materials are $53,000, the manufacturing overhead is? How do I figure this?

View more questions Search