Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
    New paint in the kitchen?
    I have changed my kitchen (three hundred square feet) from white with mint green cupboards to sage green cupboards, one red wall and the rest of the walls yellow. The baseboards and trim were also mint green and I am in the process of painting them white.

I love mint green but as soon as I spread blood-red paint on one of the walls, I felt really great! The sage cupboards now have white boxes and go with the red. Color influences mood right? The yellow is not good, I feel uncomfortable even looking at it. I am considering a old-rosey pink that will blend with the red.

Would a complementary lighter or darker green be better than rose?

Do I need to prime the bright yellow paint before applying "pink?" The colors are of equal intensity.

The kitchen has two doors. What color should they be? White is the obvious answer but it shows dirt fast. Red has been suggested. I'm leaning towards green.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2009, 04:24 PM

Hi, simoneaugie!

Would it be possible for you to post some images here of your kitchen?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 02:25 PM

Hi Clough, thanks for responding. I don't own a camera. Seeing it really helps.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2009, 10:42 PM

Yes, being able to see what you're working with would help us here!

Perhaps you could borrow a digital camera from someone? That's what I do. Then, I just plug the camera into my computer and it's not hard to put the images into my computer.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 01:05 AM

Hi simoneaugie,
    Wonderful to redo your own space...

I think the green door would be better than red as too many reds in one space might be a bit much.You can have one attention grabbing red wall. :)

And the walls in green tint might look better than pink. The green would bring out the red more,plus green is a much fresher color where food is involved.

Just guessing here,but if you could get someone to photograph for you that will be great.When dealing with colours it is hard to guess what we are talking about.
    Or maybe you could show us the colors you are using online.

Plus bear in mind the sunlight and/or artificial light you are using in the kitchen which may turn your lovely colours into horrible colours at different times of the day.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 10:18 PM

Green might be better than pink-ish. Then I'll have what I did not think of before, a Christmas kitchen. Thanks for everyone's imput. I'll ask my Father-in-Law to help me with photos.

Was thinking I'd just continue the red, accent be darned. I love that red! There is plenty of cupboard and baseboard to work on for now.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    Hi simoneaugie,

Or maybe you could show us the colors you are using online.
    I really like this idea, firmy! There may also be color combination charts available online where people can compare different colors to each other.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Adding an attachment apparently requires the ability to think linearly. I have been tested... Oh dear. The green must have lodged somewhere in cyberspace. It's softer, sager than the countertop in the photo. The yellow is nasty-bright, unlike the flowers. But the wall looks much like the picture.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 11:52 PM

Thanks for posting the images, simoneaugie! It does take a bit of practice here to post images!

What style of home do you have, and is it relatively new or an older home. I live in a pretty old home.

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 12:14 AM

My house was built around 1920. It's a craftsman. There is plenty of trim around the doorways and windows (three of each.) I'm painting it white, trying oil for the first time, just for giggles. It's stuck in my hair, that's not funny!

I have read and heard that high-gloss acrylic is as good as oil on cupboards and doors. Just wanted to play with oil on those hard-to-clean surfaces. Oil spreads and covers so nicely, I'm spoiled by it.
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 12:38 AM
    Yes, oil is very durable and preferable on cupboards and drawers. Although, the water-based paints do a good job, I find that oil, once it is thoroughly dried, is much less likely to rub off or chip for the use in a kitchen.

Then, I guess you'll just have to wash your hair in turpentine! :eek:

NOT! :D
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Waiting to see your work! Sounds like you are having fun doing them.

And the green I mentioned does not have to be dark holly leaf green, it could be a lighter tone,which is why I said "tint", like a bit of white mixed in green look :).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I paint a kitchen sink another color [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought an old home (70's) that had totatly been remodeled except for the awful green kitchen sink. It is a very large double sink and I can't find one that size to fit in the whole. I was wondering if there is a way to paint this another color and if so, will it look good or just like...

What type of paint for kitchen? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of repainting my kitchen. Should I use a particular primer and paint behind the stove, countertops and sink? Could I use gloss over an oil based primer?

Paint the entire kitchen cabinet? [ 7 Answers ]

I am considering painting my kitchen cabinets. I have never done this and have been searching for info on the internet. While I have found numerous sites that discuss how to prep and paint them, I could not determine this: Do I paint the entire kitchen cabinet (meaning the inside) or do I just...

Kitchen paint decorating [ 2 Answers ]

We're refacing cabinets with Doormark wild apple (brownish-red cherry) cabinets. We have light oak floor & bordeaux granite (darkish - brown/red/black) countertops. What paint color is suggested between cabinets and countertop? We also have an island with picture-framed sides to be painted. ...

View more questions Search