Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bridget1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 09:38 AM
    401K early withdrawl
    I am in a 401K plan at my work and have been advised our company does not have it where you can get a loan. I need to make withdrawl funds from my 401k to handle some legal fees for a custody battle. Can I just and pay a penalty?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 10:32 AM
    If you have to withdraw funds, you need to pay a 10% penalty of the amount withdrawn. In addition, the amount will also be included as part of your taxable income for the year. Generally 20% will be withheld to be used against your tax liability.

Sep 6, 2006, 10:35 AM
    That is what I thought but I was advised since I am an active employee I can withdrawl money from my 401k. I am vested and have 20,000 int the 401k now, only wanting to take a portion. Thanks Bridget

Sep 6, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Oops should have been cannot withdrawl funds from my 401k (being an active employee) is this correct?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 10:52 AM
    That is generally not correct. Unless your plan has a specific provision against in service withdrawals which I believe is illegal. Withdrawing from a 401K is highly discouraged, but it can be done with penalites.

It might be that you can't withdraw just a portion. Its possible the plan prohibits any but a full withdrawal. But I doubt that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

The plant that I currently work at is closing down. I have a 401(k) that currently has $16,000 in it. I am 48 years old. What kind of penalties am I looking at if I pull all the money out when the plant closes? Approximately how much in taxes will I be paying at the end of the year? I have made...

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a time frame in which my previous employer has to deliver my 401k withdrawl to me once I have requested it from him? It seems to be dragging on way too long. What legal action can I take?

401k early withdrawal or hardship? [ 9 Answers ]

I need $22500.00 to pay off debts. Why do I have to qualify in order to get my money when I have $54,000.00 in my 401k. I need to pay off debt not pay for funeral.. If I don't pay off my debts I am looking at losing my home in the near future as they raise my interest rate from 8% to 11 %. How can...

Early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I took a 401K withdrawl to pay for daughters college. I paid it back while employed. I changed jobs and I was issued a 1099-R as income from the unpaid balance of the original withdrawl. Question is: Can the 10% penalty be waived for early withdrawl from 401K or is relief only applicable with...

401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

The Big Lots store I have been managing the past three years recently closed. I wish to withdrawl my 401k contributions and I was wondering if I will be charged a penalty since the company closed my store and offered no transfer.

View more questions Search