Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Tongue piercing
    Hi,

I've been thinking about getting my tongue pierced, but I don't know too much about it.

Any and all information would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering, once you get it done, is it like all other piercings, to my knowledge, that if you take it out the area will heal and close up.

What is the maintenance?

Is the pain level huge? Just wondering, although I have a high pain threshold and the pain wouldn't stop me.

How long does it take for your speech to re-adjust?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks everyone.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 11:46 AM

The risk of infection is tremendous from a tongue piercing. That is a wet warm environment and in that situation, healing takes quite a while and during that time anything can happen to any part of your mouth from the piercing.

Tick
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:47 AM

I had my tongue pierced for about 6 years and once I took it out, the hole closed up in just a couple days. After the piercing, it only took a couple days for my speech to return to normal. It didn't really hurt a lot in my opinion, it was pretty fast and the instrument they use is so sharp that it doesn't cause much pain.

I took it out about 5 years ago so I don't remember the after-care or maintenance. I was very careful and followed the after-care instructions. I remember it said to not smoke or engage in oral sex for a certain period. I did take mine out occasionally to brush it so it wouldn't get plaque buildup on it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks tick!
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks very much NM :D
    xo-Niicole Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Apr 13, 2009, 11:51 AM

It takes about 3-4 weeks to completely heal. For the first few days it will be diffuclt to eat. Take it easy, eat soft things, have soup. Your speech will probably be impared but you'll get used to it after a couple days. It's pretty easy to take care of - alcohol free mouthwash (mixed 50/50 with water) after everything you eat and drink. You can't drink or smoke, eat meat, spicy foods, or have dairy products in the first 48 hours because it can cause unnecessary swelling and can there's a chance of you getting an infection. No matter your pain tolerance, you should be able to handle the piercing itself. Afterward is what hurts the most. As long as you follow the aftercare instructions the piercer gives you, you'll be fine.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Apr 17, 2009, 09:40 PM

I had my tongue pierced in August of 2008. They give you mouthwash, spit it out, mark it on the top and bottom (use a flashlight to ensure they don't hit any vains), clamp it, put a needle type thing (really sharp) in from the bottom to the top, put the bar in and take out the needle, screw it and it's done. You have to keep it clean, don't drink, don't smoke, Listerine with the yellow death stuff... suck on A LOT OF FREEZE'S - JUMBO'S. Try to avoid hot stuff for the first week, take Advil or Tylenol after and Listerine after EVERYTHING except water. I don't know about anyone else but the pain only lasts for a moment... it's the not being able to talk when the swelling kicks in for 3 - 4 days after that sucks... oh and for the first bit... avoid fatty meats sometimes the fat gets caught and can choke... chew your food well but you will get use to it. DON'T PLAY WITH IT ON YOUR TEETH - I know someone who cracked it by chomping and not paying attention... if you rub it against your teeth (make sounds) it will eventually wear the area out and stuff like that. But you get use to it and my hubby LOVES it. After you just need to brush and clean off plaque and food when you brush your teeth... always keep it clean and don't perform any oral sex until your past the 8 week mark. You can use sea salt and water to help fight infection with Advil. I don't think you should take pain killers or drink for 24 hours prior to. After the swelling or 4 weeks I think... they ask you to come back in and downsize the bar... have to get a longer one initially to allow for the swelling.

I had it pierced when I was 18 then removed it for work... then said screw it and did it again! Not bad for pain, I found the two ear cartilage piercings at the top of the ear lobe more painful.

Good luck and think about it for a good while before doing anything. (It's in the mouth so when you take it out there will be a bit of scar tissue but no one looks at your tongue - unless you point it out).
    LexiiBunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 08:45 AM
    [I just got my tongue pierced about a week ago
    While it did hurt a little, it doesn't hurt half as much as people say
    It does swell a little
    And it take 1-3 months to fully heal
    But its not much of a bother
    U have to clean it out with listerine (alcohol free) after every meal, every drink (besides water, and after you smoke (if you do) n before you go to bed and whem you wake up)
    Its pretty much healed after a month but since its in your mouth and there are so many germs it really depends on the person

Thanks everyone.[/QUOTE]
    livelife777 Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Jan 21, 2010, 04:27 PM

Did you ever get this done neverme?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:27 PM

No, I am still undecided... anyone got any thoughts on how they view it?

Jan 21, 2010, 06:54 PM

How old are you?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 06:56 PM

Jan 21, 2010, 07:08 PM

Wow, I would have guessed older for all the good advice you give people :) I am kind of over the whole pierced tongue thing, it is kind of hot but has no real value other than that. As far as the type of piercing, its no big deal. It heals fairly quickly and is not a big deal to do (as long as you can deal with the swollen tongue and funny speech) It will damage your teeth witch I'm not a big fan of. How many other piercings do you have?
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2010, 07:19 PM

Haha, thanks :D

Yea I've been toying with the idea of it for a good while, I don't know like the look of it sometimes, others I don't.

Damaging teeth I wouldn't be too much of a fan of either.

Well it's definitely on the long finger anyway... I just have my ears and my bellybutton done :)

Jan 21, 2010, 07:42 PM

I would say no to it, there are other piercings that are a lot cooler, and they don't have lasting affects like fractured teeth :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 03:23 AM

The only person I know with their tongue pierced is a male friend of mine who... to put it mildly is a bit airy fairy.
    Ok, OK so he's a raging homosexual and darn proud of it lol

That kind of jaded my view of tongue piercings as his was done for a sexual reason.

It's funny how just a few people can completely change your view on something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tongue Piercing [ 15 Answers ]

Ok Ok, so I got my tongue pierced about 4 days ago! It's still kind of swollen but I can eat. I eat slow but I can still eat! I was just wondering.. what am I NOT allowed eat? I heard I can't eat chocolate and dairy stuff? Is that true?

Tongue piercing [ 11 Answers ]

How do I conniving my parents to let me have a tongue piercing?

Tongue Piercing, white tongue, ulcer spot? [ 3 Answers ]

Pierced it 5 days ago. Situated in front of the pierced hole, there is what appears to be an 'ulcer' type looking spot. Can anyone shed some light for me please?:(

Tongue Piercing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am 16 years old, and i want to get my tongue pierced. I have been asking alot of people how bad it hurt, and they just say "no piercing it doesnt, but the after care and swelling does." Honestly, Im not worried about the aftercare, but i am extremely afraid of needles, so the actual piercing...

Tongue Piercing [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I want to ask if the tongue piercing causes cancer!

View more questions Search