Ask
    mad1026 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Scared to talk
    Why are some girls scared to tell someone if they have been raped before
    mad1026 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Why are you scared
    Why are some girls scared to say that they have been raped before please help me understand
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mad1026 View Post
    why are some girls scared to tell someone if they have been raped before

Because very often the rape victim is victimized again. It's fear of rejection, fear of being blamed - or they simply don't want to talk about it any longer and don't feel other people are entitled to the information.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2009, 10:48 AM
    [QUOTE=Chillaxguy90 agrees: Nicely put, which is why this is the first and only forum I have ever joined. Also noticed Hathor's posts have been remove. Reported maybe?
    .[/QUOTE]

Likewise I notice that yours have been removed - reported maybe?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 10:58 AM

Being raped is a very difficult, emotionally draining experience. Often victims blame themselves and feel guilty (even though it's not their fault) so they're reluctant to come forward because it seems as others will blame them too.

It's a horrible thing to go through much less, re-living it every time the story is told. It's in a way, easier to suppress the memory of the attack rather than talk about it over and over again.

Also, society doesn't make it very easy for rape victims to come forward. Once a victim speaks out, they are under scrutiny from everyone (lifestyles, behaviors, what they did wrong) and have to 'prove' that it happened. This isn't made easier by the number of false allegations freely flying out there. So the legitimate claims are often questioned. Sad to say, but without solid proof (DNA, soiled clothing, witnesses, etc), many rapists get off without prosecution and therefore many victims figure, "Why bother? Why put myself through this hell and nothing will happen?"

Most victims just want to block out that the rape ever occurred and try to move on with their lives.
    Jentau Posts: 57, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2009, 12:17 PM

There's a stigma that's attached to it and with that lots of uneasy questions that come to her mind. For instance, will the person she tells look at her differently, treat her differently, think less of her. It's a deeply emotional thing for her to have gone through and it's not easy to share those things with someone else, especially if she doesn't know the reaction she will get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

To talk to HR or not to talk to HR [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am trying to figure out how I should proceed with a major career decision. I have been employed by the same company for 20 years. I was 18 when I started here. I have moved up in the company with a moderate amount of success but have reached a plateau in the company. I have not moved in my...

Scared to think [ 7 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone would know if its safe to kiss little puppies while your pregnant? I am almost 6 and a half months pregnant and my dog had he puppies about a month ago. Ive been there to watch and help her deliver if she needed the help, and now since they were a week old till now...

View more questions Search