Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tamretus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Windows Keeps rebooting itself
    If anybody could help id appreciate it, my computer keeps restarting after about 20-30 minutes being on, sometimes longer sometimes shorter, I have already taken it and got the fan cleaned and everything inside cleaned as I thought that would be the obvious reason, however it is still going on, I will be online generally for about 20-30 minutes before it restarts, I even try to do a routine virus-scan and it won't let me finish that either, any other tips would be greatly appreciated, as I really do not want to take this back and get repaired again, and it is running off Windows XP
    Thanks
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 07:32 AM

Well, I can think of a couple reasons that this might be happening, virus oroverheating are the two I'm thinking of most logically. Can you boot into safe mode? If so, does it restart in there.

Does it restart randomly or just when you're in a certain application/program etc..

Rick
    Tamretus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 08:23 AM
    It reboots after approx 30 minutes of being online, if I'm trying to do a virusscan off Windows live onecare or any other scan software it will not let me finish as it reboots half way through the scan, additionally, I have taken it to get cleaned out and dusted out, as I thought it may have been overheating, the only thing that concerns me that it might be a virus is, that Internet Explorer does not run in it good now, the graphics constantly blink that is the pictures are constantly blinking on any site that you go on, so I've had to download mazilla Firefox, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but the computer seems to stay on longer online when I'm running it through it through Firefox than when I have it on I.E, but it still does shut off, I hope this kind of helps, I also tried to reinstall xp but it won't let me do it before rebooting, I'm kind of desperate, ill try anything at this point.
    Thanks
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 04:35 PM

Have you tried restoring it to a recent backup point?

How did you try and reinstall, off a CD or the recovery partition? Why won't it let you re-install (because it shuts off?)?

Let me know!
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2009, 09:45 PM

Run the recovery console - Using the Recovery Console - Helljack6.com

See if this fixes the issue because what you're describing sounds like you have corrupted system files.
    jamesbraken Posts: 157, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 02:15 AM

It can be virus problem. Try to update the anti n your computer in the safe mode.
    Boot the computer in the normal mode, delete the junk files (temp, (%temp%, prefetch) and unwanted software, run the disk clean up. It will help to speed up your computer.
    sreenivaspn81 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2009, 07:38 PM

It can be because of processor overheating. Check the processor details. Switch to a better cooling mechanism
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 2, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Helljack6 View Post
    Run the recovery console - Using the Recovery Console - Helljack6.com

See if this fixes the issue because what you're describing sounds like you have corrupted system files.

I retract this previous statement after going back and re-reading the information. Since the system powers off even while trying to do a re-install of Windows, this sounds more like a physical issue, perhaps a faulty Motherboard or Power Supply. If you have a multimeter available, set it to read the volts coming from one of your unused molex connectors while the computer is running. Then leave it in place while you operate normally and see if there is a voltage spike or drop just prior to the system shutting down and rebooting. Then go from there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rebooting a PC [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reboot my PC?

Countinious rebooting not open windows [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All. I'm new here and have encountered a really unfortunately problem with my hp laptop. This morning I was running a music. I've done it countless times in and has given me no problems, until today that is. It crashed. I easily noticed it because the music was looping itself every second....

Windows keeps rebooting over and over [ 3 Answers ]

My Windows XP Pro system keeps booting up to the boot menu but no matter which selection I make - i.e. normally, safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc, it just returns to that same menu. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much:confused:

View more questions Search