Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angiekj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2009, 04:22 AM
    Life changing event
    Tell us about a life-changing event. (how do I answer to this qns?)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:24 AM

I'm not crazy about this question either because if I"m thinking life-changing events, I'm typically going to think of personal events -which I would not bring up in an interview.

Pick something that's not too personal but which gives you the opportunity to bring up strengths, as in, "it taught me... " Perhaps it was an opportunity to be an exchange student, or to serve in a volunteer position, or the opportunity to go to college, or meeting a very influential mentor-role person in your life.

I think if you use something really personal like "becoming the father of my daughter, of course, changed my life the most... " then tie it back to the job such as, "I was responsible before, but having a child depend on me really pushed me to another level in terms of wanting to do well in my career and provide well for my family".

I would approach this a little backwards - think what you want to tell them about you, and then think of a life-changing event which will allow you to bring that point up in the conversation.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 27, 2009, 06:08 PM

Hi, Angiekj!

What sort of job is this for, please? I've never been asked that question in an interview. However, if I was, I would want to pick out the event and answer in the way that would best enable me to sell myself and obtain the position for which I was applying.

Thanks!
    dawgsnkats Posts: 130, Reputation: 7

May 27, 2009, 08:02 PM

Like any other interview question the answer should cite an event and how you reacted, recovered, learned and prospered from it. As an example, I got fired from a fast food restaurant when I was 16 because I was late two mornings in a row. It changed my life because I have been punctual and present for work ever since that event. So much to the point, I won an "Iron Man" award for least amount of tardiness and absence from work. Now that is a simple example, but you can see the point. Death, divorce, child birth, injury, poverty, college graduation, marriage-these are the type of life changing events to key on and be sure to answer them with the associated success. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you see my life changing [ 4 Answers ]

Hey. I would like to know when my life is going to change and when I'm going to get out this rut I'm in.when I try thrs always someone interfering.

Life changing [ 18 Answers ]

I am contemplating a life change. How do I take the jump when 75% of me says to play it safe and follow the safe and straight course of my life? For example; I have a good job and somewhat happy home life but want to leave Minnesota for a warmer climate. My wife and child don't want to leave MN...

Changing your life around. Is it to late? [ 14 Answers ]

Dear readers, I'm 18 years old, I don't live with my parents and haven't been past grade 9 due to personal problems within and without(joining a gang etc). I recently woke up and about a year ago decided to make life changes to my situation seeing as how I don't want to end up in a casket like...

View more questions Search