Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digerdo2 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Brother printer with 4 ink cartridges
    Is Brother printers the only brand that uses 4 separate ink cartridges?

Thanks... glenda:D
    stingRay18 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by digerdo2 View Post
    Is Brother printers the only brand that uses 4 separate ink cartridges?

thanks...............glenda:D
    I'm not sure about all ink jet manufacturers. HP uses a black and a tri-color for their ink jet but for their color laser printers they use four separate cartridges.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 10:47 AM
    There are a couple of schools of thought on this topic.

Most printer companies have gone with the CYMK ink solution.

Cyan (blue), Yellow, Magenta (red) and Black for color images. The fourth and usually larger cartridge of Black is used for text printing and black and white document printing.

It's a method used to conserve the black ink for color image and not to have to use the CMY colors to generate a composite black.

Mar 29, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stingRay18 View Post
    I'm not sure about all ink jet manufacturers. HP uses a black and a tri-color for their ink jet but for their color laser printers they use four separate cartridges.
    Thank you:D

Mar 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    There are a couple of schools of thought on this topic.

Most printer companies have gone with the CYMK ink solution.

Cyan (blue), Yellow, Magenta (red) and Black for color images. The fourth and usually larger cartridge of Black is used for text printing and black and white document printing.

It's a method used to conserve the black ink for color image and not to have to use the CMY colors to generate a composite black.
    Would it not be better to have 4 cartridges instead of 1 tri and 1 black?
    Just wondering.

I am looking for a printer and trying to muddle through all the info. Been reading through questions and I see a lot of problems with HP and Epson.

Thanks for your comments.

Glenda:o
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Glenda,

Great question. To really answer this we must look all the way back to the development process for this type printer.

The development costs are fairly high, however, market pricing is driving the price of these printers lower and lower. Where is a company to recoup it's costs, Supplies.

When you use a tri-color pack or quad pack for color ink, you, the consumer, must replace the entire color pack if one cell, for example, yellow runs out.

Some companies like Lexmark and Canon use 4 independent ink cartridges so that if Yellow does run out you only have to replace yellow.

I hope that helps.

Mar 31, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    Glenda,

Great question. To really answer this we must look all the way back to the development process for this type printer.

The development costs are fairly high, however, market pricing is driving the price of these printers lower and lower. Where is a company to recoup it's costs, Supplies.

When you use a tri-color pack or quad pack for color ink, you, the consumer, must replace the entire color pack if one cell, for example, yellow runs out.

Some companies like Lexmark and Canon use 4 independent ink cartridges so that if Yellow does run out you only have to replace yellow.

I hope that helps.
    Yes it helps a lot. My thoughts were running along with yours.

Thanks for all the info you have given me.

Glenda;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2009, 06:38 PM

And then there are those that don't follow the mold. I may have about 5 or 6 color ones and 1 black. My cartridges don't contain the heads, just ink. The heads wear out less and therefore is replaced as a single asssembly.

I know there is a Magenta and a light magenta, black and a yellow. There may be a cyan and light cyan as well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2009, 06:51 PM

There are actually advantages to both systems with some manufacturers.

Its true the advantage of an individual ink system is that you only have to replace the ink that you use up so there is less wasted ink. Most manufacturers have gone solely that route. However, with HP's multi-ink cartridge systems, the printheads are built into the cartridge. This means when you replace the cartridge, its almost like getting a new printer.

On the other hand, there was a study not too long ago that showed that there is a lot of waste between the cartridges and the reservoir on many mfgs. That survey found that HP's individual ink systems wasted the least ink.

There is also a cost tradeoff. The individual ink systems tend to cost more that multi-ink systems.

The consumer needs to examine how they use a printer before deciding what is best for them. Businesses, for example may use more of one color in brochures or other materials. Most consumers tend to use ink failry evenly, so even with a multi-use cartridge there isan't a lot of waste.

Every manufacturer has individual ink systems. Some have 4 ink systems, some 5, some even more. What's best depends on what you are printing.

Mar 31, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Thank you scottgem and K.I.S.S for your info.

I would rather keep my old Canon bj 200e it works great but unfortunately I upgraded to a new laptop and it has Vista which is not compatible with my old Canon printer.

Soooooo I have been looking at printers. What a confusing, time consuming deal that is.
    I can't decide on what I want to put my money into. Even the plain vanilla black printers are not that cheap, and then when I read the reviews it scares me all over again.

It's too bad my old destop decided to die, at least I could copy to CD's and then print them out on the desktop connected to the Canon.

Anyway I will keep looking. Any suggestions on brands would be appreciated.

I'm not crazy about Lexmark had one it didn't do much for me.

Thanks.
    Glenda:eek:

Apr 1, 2009, 06:45 AM

Can you explain what you need your printer to do? Do you do a lot of photos or just documents? Do you need an all in one or just a plain printer? What volume of printing do you do?

If you let us know we may be able to suggest something. I can tell you I am high on HP. HP sells more printers then all its competitors combined. Many of the technologies used in modern printers was invented by HP. They have also won awards for their tech support.

Apr 1, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Can you explain what you need your printer to do? Do you do a lot of photos or just documents? Do you need an all in one or just a plain printer? What volume of printing do you do?

If you let us know we may be able to suggest something. I can tell you I am high on HP. HP sells more printers then all its competitors combined. Many of the technologies used in modern printers was invented by HP. They have also won awards for their tech support.
    This is were I am torn as what to do. I print docs at very low volume. So basic printer is what I need. But I am looking at all the neat functions and wondering if I should bite the bullet and go for a multi-function. Copy, print, scan.

It is so crazy that I have to buy a new printer "just to be able to print from Vista". I would be happy to stay with my old bubblejet.

Hope this answers your question.

What do you think about "Refurbished" printers? I noticed HP Stores has some.

Thanks... glenda:rolleyes:

Apr 1, 2009, 02:47 PM

Refurbs are good as they have a factory warranty. Blame Canon for not updatign drivers for Vista.

But if your needs are just low volume documents, then I would look at the HP Photosmart 4480. It can usually be found for around $70-$80. It's a printer, scanner copier. Does a nice job with photos and cartridges are about $30-$35 for the black and tricolor. If you aren't printing a lot of color stuff then the individual ink carts don't really have too great an advantage.

Apr 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Refurbs are good as they have a factory warranty. Blame Canon for not updatign drivers for Vista.

But if your needs are just low volume documents, then I would look at the HP Photosmart 4480. It can usually be found for around $70-$80. Its a printer, scanner copier. Does a nice job with photos and cartridges are about $30-$35 for the black and tricolor. If you aren't printing a lot of color stuff then the individual ink carts don't really have too great an advantage.
    Thanks... I will look around for it.

Glenda;)

What do you think of this printer? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828113070

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother MFC240C Problems after refilling cartridges [ 15 Answers ]

I refilled my Brother MFC 240 C printer ink cartridges. The magenta will not print now. I have tried cleaning multiple times and still have the same problem. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Problems with my Brother MCF-240C printer [ 4 Answers ]

I got trouble with my Brother MCF-240 Printer, unable to print at the moment and a message appearing says " clean unable 46, see troubleshooting and maintenance,chapter in user's guide. Please do help me in fixing this matter.

Brother printer DCP115C error [ 3 Answers ]

Kia ora, hope someone can help me, I have borrowed my friends printer, it is a Brother DCP-115C. When I turn it on, the red light (it is the shape of an exclamation mark) flashes and it brings up. Unable to initi. (I assume that's short for initialize) See troubleshooting and routine maintenance...

Printer cartridges from lexmark printers [ 1 Answers ]

can I use the ink cartridges from a x1270 and install it into a z730?

Brother printer won't print [ 1 Answers ]

Brother HL-1240 Laser printer will not move the paper through the toner cartridge. The paper goes just barely into the cartridge, then stops. All the trouble lights register normal. It had been working OK before that, though I did take the cartrigde out to make sure it was clean as I got a sight...

View more questions Search