Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inquisitor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 04:56 AM
    Son's alleged suicide
    My son allegedly committed suicide in February, 2006. However, two days after his death, it just "popped" into my head that the local police had found my son in the park in the dark!
    The local police KNEW MY SON very well, and did not like each other. Although he was respectful to them, if he was harassed, he would show attitude. My son and I argued, which we did on a daily basis; that is how we communicated. He left our house @ 10:49PM. His brother saw him in the park, which is a block away, at 11:10PM, sitting calmly on a park bench. At 11:25PM, his brother did not see him in the park.
    A man, who had recently transferred from CA. was walking in the park, without his glasses, came across what he thought was a jacket hanging off the swing. He went home to get his glasses and his truck, returned to the park, shone headlights on the object, realized it was a person, and hollered at him. He got no response so he called the complete phone number to the police dept. and not 911. I find that odd: Most folks do not know the police dept. number by rote, and especially new residents. Why would you investigate what you thought was a jacket? The write up in the paper said the call was made shortly after 5AM.
    Another jogger: "I left my house at 5:15AM, headed west, turned the corner,cleared the house at the corner, and noticed lights in the park. When I got around to the other side of the park, I saw what I thought was my son, Justin, and sprinted home to check on him. I woke him and explained what I saw." Justin called Michael, my other son, at 6:24AM, and Michael came to tell me. Michael said that there was somebody hanging in the park ,and I knew immediately that it was Joshua. Hope against hope, I pleaded with Michael to run down there (which is a block away) and come right back to let me know. He didn't, but the local police did, and the reality hit me. EMS arrived, treated me for shock... I have an entire story, but my major question is: How do I know if this a suicide or murder?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 05:16 AM
    So you think the cops killed your son?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 05:48 AM
    First you need to get the medical examiner's report and have that examined by a pathologist that you hire. If the pathologist believes there are discrepancies in the report you will then have to pay to exhume the body and have your own autopsy performed.

You can also try contacting your local DA and seeing if they will investigate which might save you the costs.
    Inquisitor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Thank you for responding so quickly, however, it is not as easy as one might think. The medical examiner ruled the death a suicide. The police dept. will not give me information on which cop saw my son in the park at 1AM, the chief only says the M.E. ruled the death a suicide, therefore, no further investigation is necessary. Three of the officers that were on the scene, after it was called in, have resigned. I find that fact very interesting, and I'm curious as to why.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2006, 07:04 AM
    I didn't say it would be easy. I assumed the ME had ruled it a suicide. That's why you need to get your own pathologist to go over the report. You are entitled to a copy of that report, if the ME's office refuses to give it to you then you may need to take them to court. Again this is where hiring your own pathologist will help. That person can request the repoirt directly from the ME.

If the Police Chief won't answer your questions, then your alternatives are to go to the DA and/or the press.

The ball's in your court, I've told you what actions you need to take.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 6, 2006, 07:55 AM
    What makes you think there is a conspiracy to cover up the murder of your son?

Scott has given you direction on how to proceed with investigating the death if you truly feel your son's death was not a suicide.

Your questions strike me as grasping. Your grasping for something that would explain this tragedy. I'm sorry your son is gone. That is a terrible loss. You don't understand why he would do such a thing, and may even feel guilty about it for certain reasons.

Please don't torture yourself over it.
    Follow up with sound investigation as Scott mentioned, and rule out that possibility.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 09:14 AM
    What would be the police's motive for murdering your son?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help improve my son's reading... [ 18 Answers ]

My son is 10 yrs old and now in the 5th grade. He has always struggled with reading but I'm worried that he is not improving well enough. I don't want him to have a hard time, as he gets older work will get harder. Are there any suggestions of workbooks, games, or programs that are a sure thing...

My son's father, visitation, etc [ 11 Answers ]

I have so many questions and concerns right now, I don't even know what to do anymore! First off, my ex-boyfriend and I have a child together. I recently moved out of his house, and back in with my parents. We were never married, so I know that means that I have sole custody of our son. I'm...

My son's brother and my new partner [ 3 Answers ]

My 5 year old son has a 14 year old brother from his father's side and my new boyfriend doesn't think he should have to be around when I do things with my son and his brother. I live together with my boyfriend and my son. I want my son to have a relationship with his older brother even though...

Worried about my son's ability to crawl [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 8 months old going 9 and is not even attempting to crawl, is it because he is lazy, he weighs about 17lbs, I'm so worried about it, don't really know what to do. Thanks

My [ 2 Answers ]

My son has recently become engaged. At a time when he and his fiancée should be happy and planning their future, he has become unemployed and his fiancee's mother has had a major stroke and is presently hospitalized. What do you see in his near future as far as employment and wedding plans? His...

View more questions Search