Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 28, 2009, 05:20 PM
    End Canada's Seal Hunt
    There are numerous online petitions to end Canada's seal hunt. The hunt is cruel and provides very little income for the hunters. It tarnishes Canada's image as well. Show your support by signing various online petitions and by sending an email to Ontario senator Mac Harb who is trying to introduce a bill to end the hunt.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 01:06 PM

Totally agree... the whole thing sickens me.

I have already signed petitons and written an email... I hope something can be done to stop this butchery...
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 01:17 PM

Here is a link to the petition. I am a happy to say I am a proud member.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/14/SAVE-the-SEALS
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

May 5, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Some great news today, the European Union has banned imports of Canadian seal products, a move that could cripple the seal hunt. Canada and Norway will challenge the ban in the World Trade Organization but I hope this is the end of the seal hunt.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Online petitions have never amounted to anything. Jus' sayin'...
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Online petitions have never amounted to anything. Jus' sayin'...
    With all due respect,I have to disagree with you on your comment.
    I know this is a common misconception but in reality,the opposite is quite true.
    I am providing one link for you but I can show many other examples of petitions working toward effective change.
    Petitions with Proven Success - ThePetitionSite Center - Care2.com
    http://www.defenders.org/take_action...ries/index.php
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Well I visited both those sites and it certainly doesn't show where an online petition made the difference. But if you believe it will help then fill yer boots.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 01:19 PM

Here is a link that illustrates success stories.
    When they say supporters took action,they are referring to online petitions that go directly to the legislative body that makes policy.
    Success Stories - Defenders of Wildlife
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Here is a link that illustrates success stories.
    When they say supporters took action,they are referring to online petitions that go directly to the legislative body that makes policy.
    Success Stories - Defenders of Wildlife
    I went to that site, I said that in my previous post. They do not mention online petitions nor do they link to the petition that brought them the so-called success.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I went to that site, I said that in my previous post. They do not mention online petitions nor do they link to the petition that brought them the so-called success.
    When they say*took action* they are referring to past petitions.They do not keep old petitions on site.
    I agree,there are numerous silly petitions out there that effect little or no change but there are ones that do effect change.I belong to sites that also sent me paper petitions which you get mailed to you when you esign.
    The people who have legitimate sites ,affect change.
    I am so tired of arguing with people on this site,you think your way and I will think mine.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    ...you think your way and I will think mine.
    For sure. I just know the ways of the web and I try to help people not get scammed or waste their time.

Cheers.

:)
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 12:22 PM

Not sure if this is relevant but:

Dear Sarah,

There's been a huge victory for seals today! Thanks to the tireless efforts of members and supporters, PETA has scored a major victory for baby seals who have their heads bashed in or are shot for their skins in Canada's annual massacre on ice.

Following PETA Europe's campaign, in which more than 100,000 compassionate members and supporters urged their Members of European Parliament (MEP) to vote for a ban in the E.U. on seal fur products from Canada, the MEPs have voted in favor of seals, recognizing that these "hunts" can never be humane. The ban sends a resounding message to the Canadian government that this bloody massacre must stop once and for all and that the world will not stand by as baby seals are bludgeoned to death in front of their wailing mothers for a product that no one needs.

The world is demanding an end to the slaughter. But the massacre is not over, and seals still need your help.

All eyes are on Canada as it prepares to host the 2010 Winter Olympics. Now is the time to demand that the Canadian government hear the worldwide call to stop this bloody massacre of seals.

Please seize this opportunity to urge Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee to use their clout to help stop the slaughter.

For all you've already done—and will do—to help with this historic campaign, thank you.

Sincerely,

Ingrid E. Newkirk
    President
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 02:35 PM
    I totally agree. Not only do they only use the seal for it's fur, but the kill them in such a cruel way. It makes me SO angry. People need to leave animals alone!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunt groups 101 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything out there that can explain, in detail, what a hunt group is? Is there ever a reason you would want a hunt group set up if you're not using circular hunt? Wouldn't you want to just set up line 1 with CFBL/CFDA programmed to fwd to line 2, and line 2 with CFBL/CFDA programmed to...

Job Hunt [ 2 Answers ]

I am in Australia and I am searching for a Job since one month but I am not getting Interview calls itself I am very much frustrated how many days I have to search I already worked in sdney for 3 months due to some reaons I resigned that job May I know when can I get my job and when I will get busy.

Can a fellon bow hunt [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon bow hunt in Illinois?

Seal or don't seal new grout [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my bathrooms. Should I seal the grout? My contractor says no. What are the pros and cons of each decision?

View more questions Search