Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vibhorg2006 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Improve presence of mind
    Dear Sir,
    I want to improve my presence of mind or quickwittedness.Most of the times I don't find the reply instantly of any general talk and I have to stood silent and after sometime I realize that could be one of the answers.Is my mind blunt?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 6, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Your brain needs exercize in order to stay sharp.

I would suggest doing some basic math and reading a variety of books. Basic math questions stimulate the brain, and the information you learn from reading can be applied to your conversational skills.
    a1succesforce Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2006, 08:27 PM
    There are a few things that come to mind.

1. There is always a risk with being quickwitted, and perhaps this may be a mental block at a subconscious level.

2. Sometimes, even if you are very quick and clever, being witty can fall flat. That is okay, it happens, move on.

3. When you do make a good comeback, make sure your facial features complement your words.

4. Seek out input that models the behavior you wish to exhibit. In your case, joke books, wordplay websites, or television comedies are all a good place to start.

5. Remember, it can take some time to develop a sharp wit. Give it time, and exercise it regularly.

6. Exercise your brain. Math, music, and crossword puzzles are all excellent choices. Just remember to stretch it a bit.

7. Also, exercise your reaction time. His can be accomplished via video games that increase there pace as they progress. Super Collapse, and Tetris are good examples of these.

8. Last, but not least: Be yourself. If you find yourself at a loss for words, shrg it off, relax, and be yourself.

Wishing you every success,
    Michael Oksa
    vibhorg2006 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Hi a1successforce
    Could you please elaborate in detail what does point 7 and 8 means specially point 8.What is Super Collapse, and Tetris?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2006, 12:33 AM
    Hello Vibhorg,
    What a1successforce is referring to in point 7 are video and/or computer games that require you to focus on your strategy skills that speed up as you progress into the game. They help with exercising the brain (thinking faster/responding quicker).
    Point 8 is just telling you that being yourself is the most important thing and that it's OK if you find yourself not knowing what to say until after the fact.

My advise would be to educate yourself about topics/hobbies you enjoy, gather as much information about them as you can (good and bad), then strike up your own conversations with people. Come up with a few good "come backs" to defend negative responses (make sure your come backs are not personal attacks directed toward individual people) and practice. If someone catches you off guard and you don't know what to say, just reply, "well, you got me there, I don't know what to say." or "Thats a good point you made, I don't know, I'd have to look into it." There's no shame in not knowing (what do you think brought people to find the "Ask Me Help Desk?"
    I hope we have helped. If there are certain situations you need guidance in, please ask, we are all here to lend a helping hand.
    Good luck,
    Kae
    kamesh21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quite satisfied with the answer,it will help if u elaborate it more,thanks
    Rakshanda4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 03:03 AM
    How to improve our present of mind
    Yuvanarajan.R Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 11:44 PM
    Try to solve more brain teasers.
    Do yogasana regularly.
    Do reathing exercise so that your mind will be relaxed and you can concentrate if you can concentrate your
    Brain will get the required answer immediately
    Have more views on Nature or Photos of Nature
    Try to get more confident by self encouragement
    martinizing2 Posts: 1,868, Reputation: 819
    Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuvanarajan.R View Post
    Try to solve more brain teasers.
    Do yogasana regularly.
    Do reathing exercise so that your mind will be relaxed and you can concentrate if you can concentrate your
    brain will get the required answer imediatly
    Have more views on Nature or Photos of Nature
    Try to get more confident by self encouragement
    It is also helpful to check the date on the material you respond to, if it is five years old , with one other response one year ago,.
    It may never be widely read. And you have wasted your pearls.
    Balaji Sundar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Being innocent is not wrong,but don't be ignorant,be yourself ad accept yourself, there is not need to impress anyone,you might have presence of mind,a small mental block,realize it slowly don't rush up
    DK bose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2012, 08:25 AM
    But the world identifies you with your output & does'n't mind any problem or difficulty you are facing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Improve vertical jumping [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Hey Hey, I'm about 5'11 my goal is to touch the rim by March or so when I jump I need about 10 inches to touch the rim. I was thinking about buying SpringBak soles, has anyone ever used them? If so did they work and how much did I add to your jump? And if you got any good programs or anything...

Can someone help me improve on basketball? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in 8th grade and only 5'2 but I really want to get better so I can make my high school team and I practice a lot but it doesn't seem to work So can someone help me out?

Help improve my son's reading... [ 18 Answers ]

My son is 10 yrs old and now in the 5th grade. He has always struggled with reading but I'm worried that he is not improving well enough. I don't want him to have a hard time, as he gets older work will get harder. Are there any suggestions of workbooks, games, or programs that are a sure thing...

5 years of presence in US with F-1 [ 3 Answers ]

I am a bit confused about the 5 year rule, here is my situation: 2000 - I had a F-1 visa and I was in US for 21 days. This is the only time I used that F-1 visa 2001 - I got another F-1 visa for a different university and I stayed in US for 120 days. 2002 - 250 days with the F-1 visa from 2001...

View more questions Search