Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Khalvynnov Posts: 63, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 11:12 PM
    DLL error
    I've recently come across this dll error I googled it but Google doesn't know what it is. My computer is looking for this dll in the system32 file called "dxhyyipp.dll"
    Anyone know what this is or better yet if it is not needed, how to get my PC to stop looking for it.

Thanks for any help.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalvynnov View Post
    My computer is looking for this dll in the system32 file called "dxhyyipp.dll"
    One possibility is that this is a randomly named file that is a component of a virus or other malware that executed at least once. Antivirus software may have subsequently detected the file and moved it to quarantine leaving a registry reference that is now orphaned. Another possibility is that the file is legitimate and part of a software installation that has been damaged.

Anyone know what this is or better yet if it is not needed, how to get my PC to stop looking for it.
    Using Windows Registry Editor, see if the file is referenced in either of the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run (for each user on the system)

... and also do a general search on the filename using the Find command on the Edit menu of the Registry Editor.

If legit, any reference may give a clue as to the program that the .DLL is associated with. Reinstalling the software may resolve the issue.

If not legit and the reference is in one of the above keys, delete the referring value to eliminate the message. If the reference is in some other key found through a search, seek additional assistance before removing it.

Standard Disclaimer: Use of the registry editor and manual editing of the registry may render your computer inoperable. Proceed with knowledge and caution.

More Info:
    Wikipedia - Registry
    Microsoft - Windows Registry Information for Advanced Users

Mar 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
    I found the dll. It is listed as;

c8a633b0 REG_SZ rundll32.exe"c:\WINDOWS\system32\dxhyyipp.dll",b

No file name to it so I'm not sure what it could be. Doesn't seem to be used by anything other the rundll32.exe, I haven't removed it yet just so I don't crach the PC. I'm running avast anti virus scans but it does not detect it as a bad thing. I also use ad-aware for the spyware protection
    Hardware Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 01:01 PM
    IDoesn't seem to be used by anything other the the rundll32.exe
    Rundll.exe is a Windows component used for executing functions within a DLL file (see Microsoft Support: Windows Rundll and Rundll32 Interface).

I'm running avast anti virus scans but it does not detect it as a bad thing.
    If the dxhyyipp.dll file is missing (reason you're getting the message), Avast won't detect it - because it isn't there.

What registry key is the reference under?

Mar 30, 2009, 09:58 PM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
    Hardware Expert

Mar 31, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Values under that Run key are usually safe to eliminate without adverse consequences. But as a backup, export (on File menu of registry editor) the entire Run key to a backup.reg file before deleting the value referencing the .DLL.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 31, 2009, 12:40 PM

Dxhyyipp.dll - generally created as a piece of rogue spyware on your computer. I have seen file names similar to this in several cases and all of them have been directly related to spyware. Apparently your ad-aware removed a critical part of the spyware and this file is its remains and the system is still trying to figure out or find out what to do with the rest. My suggestion is to augment your ad-aware with Spybot S&D 1.6.2 and Malwarebytes because just as with viri (plural for virus) there isn't just one program that's going to find everything. The difference is that you can run mulitple spyware scanners on your machine and they don't interfere with each other like Antivirus software does.

Also download HijackThis and if the same file is listed in the scan with no file attached to it, have HJT remove it for you.

Apr 6, 2009, 08:06 AM
    I did get HJT and it took care of the problem. Thanks for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE printing error: res://ieframe.dll/preview.dlg error [ 15 Answers ]

I have seen about a dozen posts on different Web sites regarding this error. The most common fixes are related to an individual work station. We are experiencing this problem with our Web site and everyone accessing it is unable to print pages that are within frames. I tried the fixes on my...

Oracle Error 12560:tns Protocol Adapter Error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Whenever I try to log in using SCOTT/TIGER userid, I get the error "ORA ERROR 12560:TNS PROTOCOL ADAPTER ERROR". I tried starting the listener from administration-> services, but still the problem persists. Can you please suggest a solution?

Printing Error-Script Error [ 1 Answers ]

When I try to print a window pops up: Internet Explorer Script Error Line:1174 I have tried several things: Quick Restore, checked Script debugging box.

View more questions Search