Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    memee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 03:50 PM
    91 honda civic elec overload code
    My car has many problems, mostly electrical.the car starts when it wants to,when using headlights the dash shows blinkers and flashers,the seatbelt chimes them the car dies that just a small example of the symptoms. My husband already checked main relay, that was not the problem. The codes show 16,17,20. Fuel injector , elec.overload, and oxygen sensor I think any ways he wants me to find information on the elec.overload problem can anyone help me with this? memee
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 04:47 PM

. Remove and fully charge the battery.

. Clean battery terminals and cable connections.

. Check all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

Be very thorough, since it can save a lot of time and money.

. Clean the main ECM ground, located on the thermostat housing. Ensure the 3 wires going to the brass connector are in good shape.

. Reset the ECM, by pulling the 7.5A Backup Fuse, located in the underhood fuse box, for 10 seconds.

. Perform K-Test on the ECM:

Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (not start). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.

Codes 16, 17, and 20 may be bogus, if the ECM is toast--this is common on these older Hondas.

. Check, once again, for any codes.

Does the Check Engine Light go on for 2 seconds and then turn off, when the ignition switch is turned to ON? During this 2 second interval, do you hear the main relay click and the fuel pump run?
    memee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 02:37 PM
    Hi txgreasemonkey;1631

Thanks for your reply regarding my honda elec overload prob. My husband Rocky say's "yes, the main relay clicks twice". He's preforming other tests now (K-test and others).
    I'll let u know how it goes-

Rocky also say's," that you are a great asset and value to this site"! We have tried other sites.
    So far this bets them all in more ways than one.

We are amazed at all the time you gladly give- and the extremely detailed answers that you provide to us. You are very much appreciated. So Thank You, for extending you hand and knowledge to us all.

memee
    91 honda civic elec overload prob:
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 04:49 PM

memee, thank you for your kind remarks.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 04:57 PM

Rocky my husband wants to know : he say's while testing main relay from term 2 and ground he found no ground . So he hooked up a ground and there is continuity now

Now on the pgm dash fi1 main relay program fuel inject check for voltage term #6
    We have no term #6 his question is : "if there wasnt a ground on term 2 and we have no term #6 to test for voltage, was term #2 suppose to have ground and will any problems come from making it grounded" ? He realizes that I may not get immediate response so his done for now.
    For information purposes onl;y I send messages from the library but I can receive messages on my cell phone

Thanks memee
    The proper solution to fix the ground, going to Terminal 2, is to clean the main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. I recommended this in my original response.

The link below should help you diagnose problems with the fuel system:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1245523

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Civic CODE 15 [ 8 Answers ]

I have honda civic 92, My car will die every morning when check engine light comes up every day. It can be start it again by reseated fuse for ECU (15 amp) within 5 minutes time frame, I check the error code, it has code 41 and 15, I changed the oxgen sensor but the sympton still there. During the...

1989 honda civic. (code 4)crank angle sensor.(code 8) tdc position sensor [ 0 Answers ]

The car idles randomly after warm up.I check the ecu for codes and it gives 4 crank angle sensor and 8 tdc position sensor. I did a search and one of the ad posted by a guy in Canada says that he had to get part from different vehicles until he got all of them to work properly. Will I be able to...

91 honda civic code [ 3 Answers ]

On my friends 91 honda civic, it is showing code 16. We just replaced the disrtibutor and rotor, that is when it started showing the code. The code is a fuel injector circuit fault, on an identicle question I found on here they said they fixed it by replacing the coil but when you replace the...

96 Honda Civic... Misfire code [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 96 Civic Hatchback with a 1.6L. My engine would misfire (engine light would come on) only when the engine is under strain... such as climbing a hill in 5th gear or over 100kph... when I'm scooting around town it's fine. I've replaced the spark plugs , ignition wires, distributor cap and...

View more questions Search