Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilmarso1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Nuetral electric wires tied together in a 5 switch box
    I have a wall box with 5 light switches, the neutral 5 wires are tied together, I want to replace one of the switches, it needs the neutral wire to function. How do I find the correct neutral wire that belongs to this switch. Or any neutral will do? Thanks in advance.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
    If they are all on the same circuit then they should be together. If there is more than one circuit present then the neutral should NOT be all together (doesn't apply to a shared neutral circuit of course).

If they are all one circuit just connect to the bundle of whites.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 07:12 AM
    There are two ways to connect a switches to circuits. One is called a switch loop. The power source is brought to the ceiling and a loop is run from the power source's constant "Hot" to the switch and then returned from the switch to the fixture.

Neutral (grounded conductor) is not used by a switch. That said, it can be used as a part of a switch loop to bring power to the switch, providing that the wire is also re-marked with Black or Red to show that this conductor is a "Hot" conductor.

The other way is to bring power to the switch via a supply source's "Hot" conductor. I strongly suspect that this is the setup you have.

Questions: Why do you have to change the Neutral (White) conductor? Where do you have to replace from (Source to switch/ Connection to fixture) which area?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need four wires for electric hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

:) I have an electric hot water heater (240v) that presently has 3 wires (2 hot and ground). I'm in new construction and think the code requires 4 wire ( 2 hot, neutral and ground) but I don't see anywhere on the hot water heater to hook the neutral except to the ground and this doesn't seem...

Neutral wires in an electric panel [ 15 Answers ]

Why is it considered unsafe to double post neutral wires (two neutral wires to one lug on the neutral bar) in an electric panel?

Wires to Pressure Switch. Which way? [ 2 Answers ]

First of all I want to thank these forums for helping my family get heat tonight. I woke up at about 3am knowing something was wrong. Sure enough the heater wasn't heating. After looking over the heater myself and seeing a red blinking light I came to the panel that showed this was a ...

Propable changing electric wires [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I brought a chandelier from Europe to usa & after connecting it to electricity , we found that its light is very very weak!! The handy man said may be you need to change its 220 volt thin wires to thick 110 volt wires ? Could you please advice me how to solve this & which kind of shop deals...

Bathroom Electrical Outlet Tied in to Light Switch [ 5 Answers ]

I have an old 60 year old house with a tiny bathroom. Originally there was no outlet in the bathroom. Someone in the past has run a wire from the light to add an outlet and it is only hot when the light is on. It is a GFCI outlet with a tiny green light that comes on when the light switch is...

View more questions Search