Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmc-john Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
    TMC gas trimmer
    I bought a used tmc gas trimmer. I can't get it started. I primed gas into the carb (it does not stream spray) but there's gas. I even sprayed started fluied in there and it won't fire up.

What do I do next
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 12:42 PM

Is this a 2-cycle engine? Then you need a gas/oil mix usually 50:1. You can buy small cans that you add to 1 gal of gas.

NEVER use starting fluid in a small engine. NEVER! Use carb cleaner.

Also use high octane fuel.

Just with any other power tool. Remove the air cleaner temorarily. Check for spark (best to get a NEW plug and gap). Check for fuel. Look for a wet plug.

Now try the carb cleaner. If it spurts start looking at the fuel system.

If it doesn't, you may have burnt leaf valves.
    tmc-john Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Thank you for your reply

I'll tell you what I did.
    1. I check for spark--there is spark, but how much spark is needed? I see the fire
    2. I put 50:1 gas, I took carb apart and some gas squirts in when I push the prime. It squirts but not spray
    3. I checked for compression-using by hand to cover the spark plug hole. I feel pressure but how much is needed? How may pounds?
    4. Okay... sounds like you are saying spray carb cleaner. Does that mean if should fire up with the spark? Do I spray in spark plug hole?

THANKS
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 07:41 PM

1. Fire will be stronger in the engine. Plugs are cheap. Remove air cleaner until you get it started. It removes another variable (dirty filter).

2. Well, that's a good start.

3. I've never done a compression test on a trmmer engine. Maybe I should. Compression gages have check valves and a release valve. Generally holding compression is what your looking for, not the final number.
    With a 4-cycle (not a two) you can then inject oil and see if things improve. If it does, then rings. If it doesn't then valves. Probably true for 2-cycle engines as well.

4. The reason why carb cleaner is used is because it has lubercation in it. Carb spray does not.

2-cycle engines are difficult little buggers to start. Usually it's prime 4-5x, then choke, then pull a few times and move to run when it starts.

Spraying carb cleaner (spark plug hole or in air horn (filter removed) just gives you an idea that spark, timing and engine might be OK. It won't start the engine, but the engine should sputter.

If it does sputter, then you have to look at the carb and fuel system as being part of the problem.

If you start with a dry plug, choke and pull a number of times (don't prime) and remove the plug, the plug should be wet.

Carbs get messed up because old fuel is left in them without a stabilizer like Sta-bil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homelite Trimmer will die out when in run [ 2 Answers ]

My homelite trimmer will start in half choke, but when set to the run position it dies out. It also sounds underpowered and takes a few seconds to get up to speed. Any ideas, I will be more than happy to take them.

Trimmer Line [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric trimmer or weed whacker and am not quite sure how to replace the line, does anyone know how to?

Gas line trimmer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sears Featherlite Plus FL26. I was using it and the line got wrapped up, something gave way and then the trimmer head stopped spinning, but the engine kept running. Is there a shear pin or something in the shaft? Did something strip out? Thanks, Glenn

Trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to put new string on an echo trimmer

Mac trimmer [ 1 Answers ]

I have Mac trimmer power head that I picked up to tinker with - I believe it's a 28 cc (Roadrunner). I've got it running, but at full throttle it makes this loud knocking sound that I'm having trouble figuring out - despite taking it down a couple of times. It will occasionally backfire too. The...

View more questions Search