Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boggs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Install whole house fan
    Hello, I'm Darren and I am trying desperately to find an answer to just one question that no one seems able to answer at the hardware stores. I need a whole house fan and it is wider than my trusses in the attic. I do not have the old joist and rafter so I don't know if I can cut into a truss and box in the fan or do I need to search for a smaller fan?

Thanks so much
    Darren
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 27, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Hello Darren

Can you please describe precisely the entire system you envisage ?

Note : just cutting into a truss is in general never a good idea.

See this You Tube video on an Airscape Whole House Fan system installation

And

Here is another link to an installation movie at wholehousefan.com
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

Most whole house fans sit on top of the joists or trusses, you do not cut them or remove them. They give you options for boxing in the cavity below so the truss of joist is actually part of a enclosed box below the fan. Open one of the boxes and read the installation manuals before you buy. You also raise the fan into the attic by removing the drywall only giving you the hole size for the fan. The joists still run through this opening and you lift the box up between the joists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you Install a house trap yourself? [ 4 Answers ]

I just had a plumber come out and they told me that my house trap is rusted/clogged and has tree roots in it. Their recommendation is to replace it (I totally agree) I'm pretty sure that the code in Allegheny county, PA says that you have to keep the trap. Unfortunately, the Roto-Rooter guy said...

Hampton bay celing fan install with odd house! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a double wall switch to separate the light and the celing fan controls. The fan has a white, black, blue (light), and green (ground). The problem is the home!! I only have 2 whites (twisted together currently), 2 blacks (twisted together currently), ground. How to I wire this? Thanks!

Install a new eletrical power outlet in a house [ 4 Answers ]

I want help with the process of installing a new electrical power outlet in my house

New install, old house-new dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

The dishwasher guy didn't come when he'd said. How hard is it to do the drain/plumbing part? My kitchen is apart... I'm sure I could get the hot water part , but the drain is a bit iffy. I yanked out the cabinet, got the powerline run... electrician is a great guy... and will help.. (its not...

Attempting to install ceiling fan in older house [ 6 Answers ]

I'm attempting to install a Hampton Bay 42" ceiling fan but I'm having some weirdness with the house wires. House wires are: 2 white (attached to current light fixture) 1 red (attached to current light fixture) 2 black (capped off) The ceiling fan has the following wires: 1 black (fan...

View more questions Search