Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mcedd Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 06:59 PM
    The flywheel sheared the key. It must have not been torqued down enough. I'll pick up another key ( or two ) and try again. Thanks!

Oct 25, 2006, 09:20 PM
    The engine is running fine. I mowed for a couple of hours on Sunday. So far, so good...

The manual indicates that approx. 44 oz. of oil is full capacity. I measured out 44 oz and it only reads up to the add line on the dip stick. Should I stay with the manual measurement or use the dipstick reading?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2006, 11:07 PM
    I have always gone by the dipstick.. should be 48 ounces actually (kinda like in some manuals I have had, they list full capacity 2 or more ounces less the engine manufacturer)

Nov 1, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Well it has been a year since I installed the new short block. The engine still runs well but it has a hard time starting. From day one, the engine would start to crank and then stop. It seems like there is too much compression. If I manually turn it past the "stopped" spot and try to restart it, it will turn over. I assumed that the hard start was because the engine was new and it would break in and turnover easier over time. It hasn't. Do you have any thoughts?
    Mow2Much Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcedd
    I assumed that the hard start was because the engine was new and it would break in and turnover easier over time. It hasn't. Do you have any thoughts?
    I too have a 17hp Briggs that was kicking against the starter. In my case I found that the exhaust valve, valve guide had backed out of the head to the point of stopping the rocker arm. The rocker arm stud boss broke out of the head. I don’t know if the resistance on the cam would be able to stop the engine from turning over with the starter or if it was simply the exhaust valve not opening, but either way the valve guide seemed to be the root of my problem. We’ll see.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Sounds like a good time to order a short block, or find a used engine.
    JimSvec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Where is the 17Hp B/S voltage regulator?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 09:32 AM

If it has one it will be by the starter. About the engines kicking back or not wanting to turn,
    Briggs had a bad problem with the automatic compression relief
    Breaking off the cam shaft.this will keep the engine from turning over.
    Good luck DG

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

Briggs &stratton 15 hp. [ 1 Answers ]

The other day this engine just quit and I had no spark from the coil. It has the electronic ignition so I cleaned everything under the flywheel and put it back thinking that this must be the problem but no. There is a small wire that goes to the coil and when I pull it off it will fire. I found two...

Briggs & stratton 16hp [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Cub Cadet which had a 16hp BS motor with points. It went bad so I found another 16hp BS that does not have points, it has the magnetron ignition. I am having trouble getting it to fire, is there something that I need to change to the wiring to make it fire. The magnetron engine came...

Briggs & Stratton blows white smoke [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Cub Cadit garden tractor 1500 series with a Briggs & stratton engine When coming off an incline the engine starts bolwing white smoke like it is pulling engine oil into combustion chamber. What causes this?

View more questions Search