Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GA Rule Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Antique Collections, Gun Collections, Paperweight, Clocks, Scientific Instruments,
    Background:
    My Father was an incredible man who truly made an indelible mark on History. He had a very successful career as a mechanical engineer.

Dads career took him all over the world. In his travels throughout the years, he managed to accumulated a small fortune in Antiques and Collectibles. You see, Dad had been collecting and restoring Antiques since I was a little girl. His plan was to open an Antique shop when he retired. Dad inherited his passion for antiques from his parents (my grandparents) who had an Antique shop in Kentucky years ago.

Question:
    Can extensive Collections within Personal Property be treated differently or separately? Example: (Antiques, Collectibles, Art, Guns, Paperweights, Clocks, Scientific Instruments,. etc.) If so, how would I go about introducing it?

Comments:
    I believe that the value of my fathers collections are easily equivalent to his Real Property.

My sister and I are to receive 5%each of the estate.
    He gave his wife(#4) all of his personal property and everything else. The will is really sketchy in regards to validity but that's a different story.
    The Estate is only worth about 1million without the collectibles. 5% after all of probate fees is practically nothing.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:36 PM

Maybe I misunderstood, and also I'm not an expert at inheritance laws, but you get 5% of everything after fees so are you asking if you can request a certain number of these collectibles as your 5% inheritance?

Or are you asking if these collectibles would fall outside of the terms of his will and would be split up differently?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:47 PM

If he bequeathed all of his personal property to his wife, she gets these collections. They are personal property under estate law.

Is that what you are asking?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 02:28 PM

Who is the executor of the will? Has this will been properly presented to the Probate Court for execution by the Court? Do you have an estate attorney looking out for your interests in this matter?

Mar 26, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood, and also I'm not an expert at inheritance laws, but you get 5% of everything after fees so are you asking if you can request a certain number of these collectibles as your 5% inheritance?

Or are you asking if these collectibles would fall outside of the terms of his will and would be split up differently?
    Yes I am asking if these collectibles would fall outside of the terms of his will and would be split up differently?[/QUOTE]

Mar 26, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Who is the executor of the will? Has this will been properly presented to the Probate Court for execution by the Court? Do you have an estate attorney looking out for your interests in this matter?
    No attorney, I am gathering info to see what I should do.
    Regarding your last statement... "an offer i can't understand", must be a typo.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Rule View Post
    Yes I am asking if these collectibles would fall outside of the terms of his will and would be split up differently?
    [/QUOTE]

Asked and answered - if all his physical property passed to his wife these collections are included in her inheritance.

My husband had a collection of pocket watches - they passed by Will.

Why - just asking - would you think they would pass outside the Will?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GA Rule View Post
    No attorney, I am gathering info to see what I should do.
    regarding your last statement... "an offer i can't understand", must be a typo.

First, you are going way out of your way to insult people who are trying to help you.

Second, the "an offer ..." line is part of her signature, not part of the answer.

Third, try reading the rules of the site. Ask Me Help Desk - FAQ

We're volunteers here - if you want to argue with and insult people, retain an Attorney. They get paid to put up with attitude. We don't.

Apr 2, 2009, 03:11 AM

I am not sure how I may have insulted or argued with anyone but if somehow I came across that way I sincerely apologize! I fully understand and appreciate your time and efforts contributed here. So once again, I apologize.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be sent to collections? [ 1 Answers ]

I was evicted last July from my apt. If I moved out and my landlord gave me back 1500 in un-cashed cashiers checks (I owed her 2,000) Can she still legally send that amount to collections? My mother had co-signed the lease and collection letters were sent to her as well. I thought since I moved out...

Cr. C sent to collections [ 3 Answers ]

Last summer I started a program to help pay off my credit card debt. I have a few cards on the program and I thought everything was going fine. However, a few weeks ago I was contacted by a collections company stating that I owe over $1400 and that they had not been receiving monthly payments,...

Antique clocks [ 6 Answers ]

hello I have a waterbury flamingo clock would like to know age and value if possible.:)

Collections [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few questions in regards to collections. I have recently received a call from NorDon Collections and they want me to pay them $10000 because of a line of credit from Scotia Bank. The guy wanted me to pay him by borrowing money from friends and relatives. I told him that was not...

View more questions Search