Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FENCED Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Dachound in heat for how long?
    I saw that it is 3 weeks, is this a fact or dog specific?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:42 AM

I always recommend being able to actually spell the breed before you begin to breed it.

The average is 3 weeks. It's not breed specific.

Would a moderator please take a look at the various daschund questions? TON of questions, always this same breed, since the long, involved discussion about breeding them. Seems like either an eery coincidence - or not.

No offense to OP but would like someone to look at IP's.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Mar 26, 2009, 01:22 PM

If you are asking because you are looking to avoid pregnancy during this period I would suggest having the dog spayed. The 3 week period is general, and during that time you will be likely to get red fluid all over your house as well as possible unwanted visitors. Also if your dog gets cat accidentally then you can get an injection to stop it but then look forward to a few more weeks of heat. Save yourself the hassle and the world from another unneeded litter. Have her fixed!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 04:21 PM

Oops! Meant to disagree
    FENCED Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FENCED View Post
    I saw that it is 3 weeks, is this a fact or dog specific?
    Not breeding just cleaning:confused:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FENCED View Post
    not breeding just cleaning:confused:
    Cleaning? Now I'm confused.

A dogs heat cycle is 3 weeks usually every 6 months.

Now, an unspayed dog will continue to go into heat, the risk of cancer increases for an unspayed dog. Really, if you aren't going to breed her (which is best, there are enough backyard breeders out there already) then the best course is to have her spayed.

She'll be happier, healthier and you won't have to clean blood off everything every six months.

As for Judy's post, in the last little while we've been getting tons and tons of people asking how to breed their dachshund, that breed specifically. It's getting a bit old, annoying and frustrating. Now, when we see a question about this breed or any other and their heat cycle etc. we assume that the person wants to know for breeding purposes, it's a safe assumption.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 05:32 AM
    While there are people on here that are intending to breed, some people just genuinely want to know about the heat cycle. I don't want to get on peoples backs until I know that they are actually intending to breed. (that's when the claws come out)

The OP asked about how long they are in heat for because they wanted to know how long there would be a mess for.

There are certain days when dogs are more likely to become pregnant from a mating but I would never tell anyone on here!!

Get her spayed and she will be mess free :)
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    While there are people on here that are intending to breed, some people just genuinely want to know about the heat cycle. I don't want to get on peoples backs until I know that they are actually intending to breed. (that's when the claws come out)

The OP asked about how long they are in heat for because they wanted to know how long there would be a mess for.

There are certain days when dogs are more likely to become pregnant from a mating but I would never tell anyone on here !!!

Get her spayed and she will be mess free :)

I don't see asking a moderator to look at IP addresses under the circumstances is getting on anyone's back - I also don't know why if a person doesn't intend to breed he/she doesn't simply get the dog spayed. Why take a chance?

<clunk> Off my soapbox
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 06:43 AM
    I completely agree with you JudyKayTee, I'm just saying that there are reasons people don't... stupid reasons but none the less still reasons.

Cost involved. (yes they should think about it before buying a dog but many don't)

People just forget, or don't know (Some people don't realize because they aren't educated about sterilizing)

Don't need to (Believe their dog will never have an 'accident')

No health benefits (most people don't realise that it's healthier for them)

So yes, I highly promote spaying and neutering, just stating why some people ask about it :)
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 07:54 AM

And you left out the people with two dogs, same litter, female is pregnant and owner can't figure it out - dog doesn't see any male dogs... other than the "brother."

Sigh -

Went to a fund raiser last night and they read the statistics right now about abandoned dogs due to Vet cost, food cost, etc. Made me heartsick.

All of your points are certainly on target.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Very good point with the brother/sister thing, didn't even think of that. There's not only the unwanted puppies, but genetic issues as well.
    Yes it's really disturbing, some people just don't realize how expensive animals can be. I always have a spare $1000 in my savings set aside as my 'pet fund' you never know when something bad is going to happen.

I know I'm going off on a tangent but it also makes me angry when people don't euthanize their pets because of the cost. A few years back one of my rabbits got myxomatosis (luckily I only had 1 at the time) and the vet actually put him to sleep for free because she was just pleased that I had actually brought him in to end his suffering, a lot of people would just leave them until they died a horrible death. I'm going to be so sad when my parents eventually sell their house because all of my babies are resting under a big oak tree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dachound problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 8 month old male dachound, he is so adorable! But I noticed that he has green oozing coming out of his penis?:eek: I don't know if that's a part of reaching the mating stage or what! What should I do? :confused:

Heat will not run long [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering if there was some help out there for a heating problem. Done a thermostat change,went from a T874R 1046 TO A Honeywell digital RTH3100C,Cooling and fan works great,problem is,heating part will only run for a few minutes,it's a YORK heat pump unit all elec.This is my wiring at the...

Dachound health [ 1 Answers ]

My miniature dachound is baddly constipated.She was diagnosed with cushings disease.Any natural remedys we can give her please to loosen stools or handle cushings

How Long is a dachshund in heat? [ 6 Answers ]

I just adopted a 3 1/2 year old female dachshund named Honey. I have only had her for a few days and when I adopted her she had not yet been spayed. I plan on having her spayed, but before I could get her in she started showing signs that she was in heat or is getting ready to go into heat. Can...

A/C & Heat Cycle to long [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C & heat system continues to run way after the Thermostat has reached the set temperature. I have a digital thermostat. I replaced the thermostat thinking that was the problem, but the new one does the same thing. Any ideas or reasons... This only began 4 days ago. Otherwise no problems at all...

View more questions Search