Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caerfullyasked Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Parental Rights
    I live in Florida. My daughter is 15. Her biological father has never been in the picture since I was pregnant. I never pursued terminating his rights. I have been married now for over 10 years and she believes my husband to be her father calling him Dad since she was a baby. Just recently her biological father called me and asked if he could send her money for college. He says he has no intention of pursuing anything further but wanted to provide that to her. If I accept it and put it in to a trust account for her, am I establishing a relationship and opening the door for him to be a part of her life? I thought maybe I would accept it if he also send paperwork relinquishing his parental rights but am not sure if this legitimate...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 10:52 AM

Its not legitimate and accepting or denying money from him does not change anything. If he wished to pursue a relationship with her, he could do so through the court.

He cannot relinquish parental rights unless your husband wanted to adopt her. This is called a step parent adoption. It is a fairly simple process in FL if everyone is willing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 10:58 AM

First the door is already open, and he has the right to go to court for visitation anytime he wants. So taking the money has nothing to do about it,

In fact you should have been getting child support all of these years, getting child support does not give any any additional rights he does not already have.

If your new husband wants to adopt, then you can get him to sign over his rights,

The paperwork will have to be court orders ( motions) to present to the court to be signed. You really need an attorney
    caerfullyasked Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 11:04 AM
    There is a catch. He is in jail and may not ever be getting out...
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by caerfullyasked View Post
    There is a catch. He is in jail and may not ever be getting out...
    Well, that makes it awfully hard for him to pursue using any of his rights. The only point of terminating his rights now would be for your husband to adopt.

As for the money... its free money and doesn't seem like it CAN come with a catch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are the parental rights already gone? [ 4 Answers ]

I was an unwed mother when I had my baby girl almost a year ago. The father wants to be a part time daddy when it is convenient for him. He did not want to sign paternity in the hospital so therefore he didn't go on her birth certificate. Does this mean that in the state of Pennsylvania he has...

What rights does a parent give when they sign over parental rights? [ 2 Answers ]

When I was 16 my mom signed over her parental rights, I am now 23 and have a kid. What rights to her grand kid does she have?

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

How do I voluntarily give up my parental rights?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for the past year and a half. Before we got together he messed with this girl only a few times, after she found out we were together she told him she was pregnant and made our lives a living hell. He never had a relationship with her and told her that he wanted nothing...

Parental Rights [ 6 Answers ]

If a woman is married and has an affair that results in a child, I realize that by law the husband is presumed to be the father unless a paternity test proves otherwise. However, can the biological father come in a year or two down the road and insist on a paternity test, visitation, etc. I...

View more questions Search