Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CabanaBoy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 11:54 PM
    Backing up...
    I looked around some and didn't quite see a question about this, my apologies if you've answered it eighty times already... :D

I am having problems with my kitchen/washing machine draining properly. I have attached an image I made to create a better picture. My kitchen shares a wall with my garage, where my washing machine is... however my kitchen is 18 inches higher. The items in question are my dishwasher and garbage disposal in the kitchen, and my washing machine and wash tub in the garage.

I have the drain hose from the washing machine dump into the wash tub, which in turn has a two inch pipe (with a P-Drain) going into the wall. The wall connector is an iron fitting that looks like it once had threads. (the house is 45 years old). Right now, the pvc pipe merely rests in the iron fitting. It does take a while (10-15 minutes?) for a water from a large load to drain from the wash tub once its dumped from the washer.

To make matters worse, when I run the garbage disposal, the "fluid" backs up into the wash tub in the garage (with or without the washing machine on). So I end up with chunks of food and smelly water in the wash tub. :eek:

I looked closer at some of "the stuff" today, and it looks like there are also bits of black rubber that came out as well. I pushed a chunk and it disintegrated into a black, chalky streak... but it still worries me. We've had problems with our dishwasher draining in the past, but it has been fine for the last few months (knock on wood).

Any idea?

Thanks! :)
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 5, 2006, 07:58 AM
    WOW! First off I really like your illustration.
    That said, you're giving your drainage one hellava work out. Grease and garbage from the sink plus grease from the dishwasher plus grease and fiber from the washer all dumping into one drainline.
    It's no wonder that you have problems. To clear the drain line you're going to hafta get upon the roof and snake out the wash tub roof vent with a sewer machine. Put out enough cable to get to the base of the stack and 20 feet more. While you're up there it might not hurt to run the snake down the kitchen roof vent as well. After snaking the lines flush them out with hot water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink backing up [ 1 Answers ]

In the upstairs bathroom, I have two sinks side by side that are backing up. Removed and cleaned pee trap on both, same problem. Sinks back up on their own. (Will back up without flushing toilet or running shower.) Sinks downstairs are fine.

Backing up! [ 2 Answers ]

My shower, bathtub and toilet were all backing up - I called my home insurance program and when the plumber came he said I wasn't covered (of course) because it was a root problem. He said he would have to use a camera to see the problem, and suggested it would cost $1000 +/- to fix. He then said...

I'm backing up... [ 1 Answers ]

In the past few days the plumbing in my house has gone to crap... literally. It started with a slow draining bathroom sink on the 2nd level of the house. Liquid Plumber Gel did the trick. Then the toilet clogged. Plunger did it's job. Then we noticed the toilet on the lower level was moving...

Drains backing up [ 3 Answers ]

All the drains in my mobile home are backing up. I used a Zep product to dissolve hair clogs about 2 weeks ago. I washed clothes Sunday and the next day the drains seemed slow but still draining. The third day, today, all the drains are backing up: flush commode and water comes up in bathtub...

Help - Tub is backing up! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. New to forum, maybe someone can help me. I have noticed that my tub drainage has been slowing down again. Just had cleaned it (using a plastic piece with hooks that got through mail, worked fine) a few weeks ago, but my wife said MY hair was clogging it up again. Had not gotten to it yet......

View more questions Search