Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gitch22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Low pressure with hot water
    I've read through some of the posts, with regards to low hot water pressure and most point to problems with individual faucets. I've got a 59 year old, oil fired boiler heating system. It has a self contained 20 gallon hot water tank, which is sufficient for 2 people. I do not have a separate hot water heater.

The hot water pressure out of each faucet is very low. This includes the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and bathtub. The kitchen faucet was replaced approximately 5 years ago and from what I can remember, the pressure was not any better when this faucet was brand new.

I assume I need to check something on the heating system itself. The system used to have an expansion tank that I was able to drain, but that was replaced with a smaller tank, which contains a diaphragm. This tank was just replaced in Jan of 09, because I noticed water in the bucket by the heating system's drain.

What should I be looking for and what needs to be done, to correct this low pressure? Thanks for your assistance!
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 26, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Hello Gitch

You do not mention the temperature of the water, just the low pressure.
    And as all outlets feature the same problem, this points towards the heater itself and the pipes to and from the heater.
    Most probably some part blockage may be present along the piping.
    Is there anywhere a valve in that piping?
    If so, please check each valve if open and unblocked. Correct if required.
    If the problem remains, the problem may be in the heater itself. Check for a part block.
    It could be that the specific heater is only of low capacity, and can not provide more.
    This poster's a troll
    Success! And keep the board involved of your progress.
    Gitch22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Thanks sarnian! The hot water temperature is fine, it's just the pressure at issue. I do not know of any valves that exist, on the water pipes themselves. The only valves are near the heating system, as far as I know.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 26, 2009, 06:51 AM
    ]Gitch

I do not know of any valves that exist, on the water pipes themselves. The only valves are near the heating system, as far as I know.
    Than close the main water valve, and open this heater valve. Check if there is any blockage (like sand or dirt). If needed cover open valve with towel, place a big bucket below it, and let someone open the main valve for 15 seconds to clear the pipe. You can inspect than also if the pressure there is higher or not.
    Is the valve before or after the heater?
    This poster's a troll

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

View more questions Search