Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinkaboo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 02:33 AM
    I Ready To Start A New Life!
    In California if there is no custody agreement can I move my child out of state.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 04:01 AM

What does the other parent say?
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 05:09 PM

This gets asked a lot on this board and you really need to provide more details. It's a lot more complicated than a simple yes or no.

Assuming there's no custody case filed or orders to the contrary, there's nothing technically preventing you from leaving the state with your child. But watch out: be sure you let your co-parent know where you are and how to be in contact with you. If you run and hide and the co-parent wants custody, he/she is going to get it temporarily simply because you ran and hid. It kind of works like that. Plus, jurisdiction is probably going to be in California (there might be an exception, depending on how long the child has been in California to begin with) if the co-parent files a custody case within 6 months of your departure. So you're going to wind up coming back here to go to court anyway. Hence, be careful.

The best thing to do is secure an agreement from your co-parent and make it a court order before you leave. Or, just go into court and litigate the issue.

If you anticipate strong objection to your proposed move away, running off with the kid is only going to make matters worse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

How To Start Over My Life After Divorce [ 10 Answers ]

My divorce will be final in about 10 days. I have posted a few times on here about how my ex-husband was stalking me and didn't want to let me go. Well, I think it has finally stopped and he is accepting that it is over. He is going to get custody of our 2 1/2 year old son because I believe I...

Where to start- life coach [ 29 Answers ]

I want to become a life coach/motivational speaker but I have absolutely no clue where to start. Are there educational degrees offered towards this or should one just get a general bachelor degree? Master degree? Phd? I'm sure getting a higher degree would be best and I have every intention of...

Mom wants to start a new life, but. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Indeed, I am the daughter not the mother, and I did not know where to submit my question, and I chose to be under Parenting. My story is as following : My mother is a beautiful young-look lady who really looks like my sister not my mom. However, this lovely lady lived...

View more questions Search