Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perez24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Landlord excepted prorated check cashed it and decided to charge full month rent
    We had let our land lords know that we would be able to afford full month rent and wrote a check for a prorated amount they excepted the check and cashed it the next day. The following day after we were already moved out she called and told us she would still be charging us for the full month. Can she do that? And if so can we stay in the home for the time we are paying for?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2009, 05:56 PM

Unless you have a written agreement to accept the prorated amount the landlord can do that.

If you have already turned over the keys and moved out you can't go back.

I'm a little confused here, were you breaking the lease or what? Whay did you move?
    Perez24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 02:28 PM
    :mad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Perez24 View Post
    We had let our land lords know that we would be able to afford full month rent and wrote a check for a prorated amount they excepted the check and cashed it the next day. The following day after we were already moved out she called and told us she would still be charging us for the full month. Can she do that? And if so can we stay in the home for the time we are paying for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paid partial rent for first month, no lease, decided not to move in. [ 2 Answers ]

I gave landlord half a months rent in advance believing that I was going to move in. it was not intended to be a holding deposit. The landlord was a friend of a friend and the apartment had been empty for over a year. I did not know that the landlord had been actively trying to rent out the...

Private rent- what can landlord do if you don't pay last month of lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I had a private contract with my landlord and due to financial circunstances I had to leave the apartment 1 month before the year lease was due. For 11 months I paid everything on time, but could not afford the last month. I left the apartment and we verbally agreed that once my situation got...

Tenant wants prorated rent for last month of lease [ 1 Answers ]

My tenants do not want to move out of the condo that they have been renting for 2 years. In November of this year, they experienced some loss of electricity in the kitchen. Everything works except the ceiling light. We did not repair it because of the expense. We had already decided not to renew...

Rent check was returned what can my landlord charge? [ 5 Answers ]

My rent check was returned for "uncollected funds". My landlord now wants me to pay a fee of $35.00 for each check that was returned by THEIR bank. When I read the lease, it looks like I only owe a $35.00 fee for my check. The lease states: LATE FEE COSTS AND RETURNED CHECKS: If any...

Last month rent check bounced [ 3 Answers ]

My tenants gave us a 30 days notice to leave the premises. Their rent check for this month bounced. I have a security deposit in the same amount of the rent. Since they have proved to be dishonest before I believe that they will leave sooner than the end of the month, may take with them the...

View more questions Search