Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkystinky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Gray water pit or pipes frozen after thaw-freeze
    We have a gray water pit at the cottage and it was fine all winter. We had a thaw-freeze 2 weeks ago and the water no longer drains out from the cottage but come up in the base of our shower stall. The gray water pit is approximately 3 years old and does not have excessive grease build up. Upon scraping the surface off the top of the access cover we saw a 2" layer of ice over the ground and the opening to the pit & cover. The cover and line were covered with 2 feet of flax during the winter.

Is there some something that I can put down the line to defrost the ice or do I have to wait for Mother Nature to do the job? We live in Manitoba, Canada.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Is there some something that I can put down the line to defrost the ice or do I have to wait for Mother Nature to do the job? We live in Manitoba, Canada.
    You could try pouring boiling water down the drain line. Itwill come back in your shower but enough hot water might just dothe trick. Otherwise wait for the thaw **or** you could pack it in and move to Florida. It was 80 here toiday! Good luck and stay warm, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to thaw a frozen drain pipe? [ 9 Answers ]

My cabin is on a slab. The drain is connected to the bath tub and is not accessible. The pipe is not buried below the frost line. Does anti-freeze work to melt it? Should I try boiling hot water because that has not worked yet? Should I try a hairdryer? How about a plumber's tool to thaw it...

Frozen water pipes [ 3 Answers ]

My pipes froze and now that there thawed out all I get is brownis colored water. What is the problem??

How do I thaw frozen pipes in a wall? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a frozen pipe in a wall. The pipe goes from the basement to the 2nd floor How do I thaw it without tearing the wall out?

Did I thaw the frozen chicken 'right' or should I toss it? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so my question is about thawing frozen food. I purchased some boneless/skinless chicken thighs. It said use or freeze by 7/4/08. I had it in the fridge for a few days until the listed 'deadline' came up. I was going to use it before then but didn't after all. So on the 4th I put the package in...

Maybe frozen pipes causing no water to toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Temperature was 29 degrees when we had no power for two days and no water for 3 days. When power and water was turned back on, the bathroom flushed OK for about 3 times. Then it stopped filling with water and will not flush. The bathroom sink has water coming in right next to the toilet. Could...

View more questions Search