Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonymousteen09 Posts: 30, Reputation: -2
    -

Mar 25, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Marijuana. Is it really such a bad thing?
    I use to be the one who looked down on people who smoke pot. Until I started.
    I'm 17 years old and a senior in high school. I'm exposed to pot every single day by my boyfriend and we've been together for a year. I just recently started smoking it.
    People have this certain stereotype of people who smoke pot.. I.E. pot head, low life, stoner, etc. but honestly now.. What's so wrong with it?
    YES it does cause problems with memory and sure it makes you a little slower.
    BUT. I've been smoking it quite a bit throughout the past few months and honestly I love it. It makes me happy and it makes me think deeply. Its actually changed things in my life for the better. When I'm high I think of possibilities, opportunities, stuff like that. I decided I wanted to go to college, even have one picked out. I decided that when I was high.
    I am a 3.6 GPA average student and that hasn't changed.
    Sometimes when I'm high I actually have this strive to do my homework and make sure everythings right.. and on certain occasions, I've actually done extra credit just because.
    I use to be so depressed dealing with difficult things that have gone on in my life but I think smoking pot is making me better mentally.
    I don't know what to think honestly... I need help I think.. Am I right or does this not make any sense?
    Opinions appreciated! (just NO criticism please)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2009, 04:08 PM

You only just started smoking pot, anonymous. If you continue smoking it for the next five, ten years, eventually it will destroy brain cells so you can't think of what you want to do next. You will lose concentration, lose money because you have to find the next bag of pot. It will eat up your life and your brain.

Wait till the time you can't get it anymore and you don't know where the next joint is coming from, or possibly, the next 25 or 30 odd dollars to buy the next joint. Then come back on here and tell us how much you enjoy smoking pot. You might even get caught for possession.

You won't be where you think you would be. Think about it.

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2009, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymousteen09 View Post
    Marijuana. Is it really such a bad thing?
    Hello teen:

It isn't bad. It isn't good. It's a drug and should not be used by children.

excon
    -

Mar 25, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello teen:

excon
    Thanks.. I very much appreciate the response. =]
    Its people like you who don't express your opinion in such a harsh way that actually make people think. I appreciate it Thank you very much. =]
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 06:07 AM
    Hello teen:

excon

This is certainly a decision to be made by adults BUT there should be some type of understanding (and the OP has indicated that her boyfriend is a user) that this is, in fact, criminal activity, can lead to arrest and arrest records, can hurt a career in the future. These arrests are posted on the legal threads, of course.

Sometimes the "I think it should be legalized" argument ignores the legal status NOW. NOW, without prescription, it's illegal. I've seen small and large amounts lead to arrests.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 07:04 AM

I suppose it is no different than booze. Some people can use a little and not let it affect their lives negatively. Some people become addicts and live only for the next fix.

Both my sisters were married to potheads. I watched as one bounced from place to place because they could never pay the rent because it was going up in smoke. I saw my other sister try to explain away bruises when she had the audacity to buy food with his stash money.

I used to smoke cigarettes, so I know a little about addiction. You start using a substance and think that you are in charge. In no time at all the power shifts and the drug is in control. You do without something important to make sure you have enough money to buy it.

Be very careful. Is risking your future really worth that joint? (Plus that stuff stinks)
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 09:35 AM

As of 2009, possession of marijuana that's less than an ounce in Massachusetts results in a $100 fine, no longer an arrestable offence.

I've known a lot of good people who were restricted from opportunities and even get kicked out of high school because they were caught with a joint. We had an undercover cop pose as a student for half a semester.

It's best to know your state laws regardless.

There are health risks involved, but then again I was watching Nat Geo and apparently solar wind can contribute to gene mutation, so we're screwed anyway. There isn't any physical dependency on it, as in you're brain won't require THC to function normally after so much usage like it does with Heroin and alcohol (I think).

Anyway, I don't smoke and I never did, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 09:42 AM

I think cocaine is bad.

If I was addicted to cocaine, then I probably wouldn't think it was so bad...

See any resemblance?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    As of 2009, possession of marijuana that's less than an ounce in Massachusetts results in a $100 fine, no longer an arrestable offence..

I didn't realize OP is in Massachusetts.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 10:00 AM

I don't believe it is dangerous if used in moderation by adults.

There is a wealth of mis-information about pot and people have bias against it because they think of it as a stepping stone to drug abuse and crime.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 10:04 AM

While it may not be dangerous it is still illegal.

Marijuana stays in your system the longest of any drug, it CAN make employment difficult as testing positive for marijuana will keep you from getting many established jobs. In this economy that is not a good thing. Many companies have gone to hair analysis rather than urine analysis for drug testing.

All of those thoughts you were having about others who smoked pot, people will now have about you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2009, 10:47 AM

Please note with minors, even items that isue "tickets" can result in other issues, if the Juv court gets involved.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwantfair View Post
    While it may not be dangerous it is still illegal.
    Hello Just:

In the final analysis, that makes it pretty dangerous after all.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Hello Just:

In the final analysis, that makes it pretty dangerous after all.

excon

As you once said to me, what am I? Chopped liver?
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2009, 01:37 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    excon agrees: Boy, do YOUUUUU have a long memory. You're right. You said it first. [/QUOTE]

I have a memory like an elephant - and actually we're both grey and wrinkled so we have a lot in common.

Just keeping you on your toes!
    -

Mar 27, 2009, 08:05 AM
    Hmm...
    That gives me a lot to think about. Although I knew like all that. Idk.. I guess I'll just see what happens. Thanks for everyone's response! =]
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Mar 27, 2009, 05:46 PM
    In the short term, marijuana is not that dangerous, but in the long run, it is more dangerous than tobacco.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    In the short term, marijuana is not that dangerous, but in the long run, it is more dangerous than tobacco.
    Hello earl:

Yeah, that's what the drug war crowd would have you believe, but it's not so. They couch their scare tactics by saying that today's potent marijuana has 4 times the amount of tar than do cigarettes...

That IS true, but tar doesn't kill you. Nicotine does. Nobody has EVER died from smoking Marijuana, while tobacco kills over 350,000 people every year in this country alone.

Consequently, you could say marijuana is 350,000 times LESS harmful than tobacco... That's not to say that smoking marijuana is good. It isn't. It's a drug. But, it certainly isn't dangerous - except for getting busted with it.

excon
    SuperMe83 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 27, 2009, 11:19 PM
    It's not so bad the first couple of years, but eventually, your body will become so used to it you won't feel that high you used to and you'll want a more stronger drug... My brother in law was hospitalized 4 months ago for smoking a blunt that was laced with cocaine. Now a days you can't trust ANYONE.. If you plan to go to college, try quitting now, because if you continue to smoke, those 4 years of college will be a waste of time, nobody's going to hire you if you don't pass the drug test...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2009, 05:51 PM

Smoking it isn't so bad but there is one thing that you sort of forgot there, Annonymous, the weekly cost of this drug. Have you given some serious thought as to just how you are going to support your habit once it becomes really entrenched in your life? Are you going to be able to support say a $100 a week habit, a $200 a week habit? Also, have you given some serious thought as to what quality of pot you are going to be getting down the road? Are you going to keep buying from your local pothead dealer? Great. Who are you going to buy from when he gets busted? Are you going to buy from the local undercover agent and get caught and get a record doing it? You never know who ends up rolling over on their "friends" when they get caught buying or selling. Or are you so into living dangerously that you don't really care?

As far as thinking more, blah blah blah, I'm sorry I'm not buying that balogna. You only think you are thinking "better". That's what the high is all about. That's why you are high - you just think that you are thinking better. Trust me, reality is much cooler in the end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

Marijuana and me [ 7 Answers ]

So I've been smoking for about 5 years and its taken me a while while but I've realized that its something I'm really not interested in continuing. I'm in my second year of college so it crops up quite a bit. Its gotten to the point where I'm considering cutting out all my friends that do smoke. I...

Marijuana Test! [ 66 Answers ]

Ok my mother is forcing me to go for a medicals check up cause I haven't had one in like years and for some reason she thinks I could have diebeties cause she sees me eating too many sweets (rolls eyes) I know its rediculose but now I'm freaking out cause I just realized there going to check my...

View more questions Search