Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shep314 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2009, 03:15 PM
    cement block steps
    sorry about being so vauge. The steps will be attached to a cement block wall which starts about 8 ft below grade.the block for step would be 8x11,I would like to make them wide about 8ft the height is approx 4ftabove grade.the house is in Belize central america and it never gets below 50degrees.Also there might be cement rail ings. Thanks again sal cucuzza
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
    [QUOTE=;][the steps will be attached to a cement block wall which starts about 8 ft below grade.approx above grade./QUOTE]

I do this for a living and a little lost here. So the steps will be parallel to the 8 foot wall there ? And then it goes past that 4 foot above grade? So the hole straight run is 12 feet? Need better details. Is the 8 foot wall there a retaining wall? Are you cutting perpendicular onto it to get to top elevation or like I asked above parallel?

Mar 27, 2009, 07:22 PM

the wall is the extof a varandawhich has a varanda above this one.we have a small poored cement step but I want a steps 8ft across x 4 ft approx high to be even with varanda flooor.that 8 ft high wall is like a basememt were all the pumps and water heat is. Thank you sal cucuzza
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2009, 09:29 PM

Your last post is hard to read. Are you using a translator system ? If so what language. I can post back in different languages if need be.

Or maybe like me I don't always check my replies.

Am I right here.
    1. wall is a retaining wall or foundation wall with a veranda.

2. From that veranda is one above it.

Are you trying to connect all the verandas together with a landing between them to access first veranda?

Post back and

Mar 28, 2009, 08:58 AM

it's a two story home on beach in Belize.attached to home is to large porches or varandas.one on first floor and one above on 2nd floor.the 1rst fl varanda has small steps approx 4ft wide approx 4ft high.I want to make block steps 8-10ft wide x approx 4Ft high.underneet the 1st fl varanda is a basement approx 8ft highits this ext varanda wall that the new steps would attach to. There's no frost . How deep should the footing be.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2009, 09:50 PM

With the no frost the depth of the footings is basically 1.5 to 2 feet deep. Depth of a footing is based on a couple of things.

1. Frost/freezing
    2. Digging deep enough to get to compacted soil.
    3. Deep enough to account for soil erosion.
    4. Wide enough to support the compaction weight from above

All footings should be Min 24" wide so theres room to stand on footer and lay the block. All of the footers I pour are min 8" thick at 3,500 or 4,000 psi.

I'm not there to see the soil conditions. Keep #2 and#3 in mind and things should be fine. If the soil is a bit iffy use 1/2 steel rebar and lay a parallel run in the footer.

Are you OK on laying out the treads and risers? I can help you with that if you need...

Mar 29, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Yes, I would like an overview or explanation on way to lay out threads and risers thank you sal cucuzza

Mar 29, 2009, 08:06 AM
    Yes, I would like an overview or explanation on way to lay out threads and risers thank you sal cucuzza, I never laid them out,but I always did fine with a finish morta coatings.I did a good job hidding my mistakes
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 06:46 PM

A For a quick layout figure 12" tread and 8" risers to figure out a rough distance from point to point.

A nice step to walk is a 12" tread and 7 to 71/4" riser.
    Quick example for a lay out

steps from ground level to 8 feet high.
    7 inch risers x 12 inch treads.

96 divided 7 = 13 full risers =(91") + another riser thats 6" high 14 risers total at 12" is 156" out from the 8 foot wall The odd riser is Always at the first step

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cement block steps [ 2 Answers ]

I have a beach house and the soil is 100 percent sand.i want to build cement block steps how deep should the footing be.ihave not seen any home repair or massonary books on sand bases. Thank you sal cucuzza

Cement block shower [ 2 Answers ]

How to lay a cement block shower? By using 3 blocks by 3 blocks by 3 blocks?

Bricks on cement steps [ 2 Answers ]

After a cold winter the bricks on my original cement walk are separating and then loosen. I have tried liquid nail but it is only a temporary fix.

Cement block footings [ 1 Answers ]

Replacing a porch at a sand beach location,how deep should a footing be for cemeent blocks

Cement block shower [ 1 Answers ]

My parents house, built in 1956, has a basement shower made of cement blocks with a cement floor. Can I tile over the walls and what's the best solution for the cement floor that's deteriorating.

View more questions Search