Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SlyPhoenix Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2009, 01:45 PM
    How many g of water is required to be mixed with 11.75 g of HgCl in order to make
    How many g of water is required to be mixed with 11.75 g of HgCl in order to make a 0.01 m solution?

Hg - 200.6

Cl - 35.45

H2O - 14.026

I have that much but I don't know hwo to set it up.

I am dreadful at Chem
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyPhoenix View Post
    How many g of water is required to be mixed with 11.75 g of HgCl in order to make a 0.01 m solution?

Hg - 200.6
    Cl - 35.45
    H2O - 14.026
    The molecular weight of H2O is wrong. The atomic weight of H is 1.00794. The atomic weight of O is 15.9994. However, in this case, you don't need to know the molecular weight of water.

The molecular weight of is

OK. Now with that out of the way.

You know you need a 0.01 molar solution. You have 11.75 grams

is the molecular weight.

In your case, you have a weight that you want to convert to moles. In this case, therefore, you need to divide the weight by the molecular weight.

11.75 / 271.5 = 0.0433 moles of

To get a 0.01 molar solution, you need 0.01 moles / liter. If you dissolved it in 1 liter, you would have 0.0433 molar (moles/liter).

So,

0.0433 / X = 0.01, where X is the number of liters you need.

Solve for X and you will know the number of liters. Convert that to grams and you're finished.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to make a mixed CD using tracks of CDs I've already purchased legally? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a nice-sized CD collection, and I'm wondering if it would be legal for me to take a track from this CD, a track from that CD, and some tracks from other CDs and burn them onto a blank CD, effectively making a mix CD from tracks that I've already paid for. I wouldn't distribute it to the...

Is water baseboard bleeding required with auto bleeders? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a bad boiler. Some of my baseboards are extremely difficult to get to due to built in furniture. If auto bleeder valves are in place, is it necessary to bleed each baseboard, or will the system eventually complete the process?

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How much money do you have to make in order to claim taxes

Mixed baby mixed family emotions [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my name is heather and I'm 20 years old I just found out that I'm pregnant I'm white and my boyfriend is black. I've dated black guys for a while so you would think that my family would be use to by now well just a few days ago I told my mother that I was pregnant and the first thing she told me...

Order Required When Filing a Motion [ 3 Answers ]

I went to file a MOTION TO QUASH THE SUMMONS AND VACATE JUDGMENT for a Default Judgment against myself. When I tried to file the Motion, I was told that the Judge would not take it unless I filed an Order. My question is why does he want me to file an Order prior to the Hearing. My...

View more questions Search