Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Florida Mom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 01:58 PM
    X renigging on paying
    My daughter's father ( my X) committed to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings,now he is renigging on paying all the expenses for what he promised her. HE HAS THE MONEY! He says he is going to send a certain amount of money( not nearly enough) to her sister and expects her to pay the bill-so he can have fun the night of the wedding. I know it is because he doesn't want to get stuck with the bill. She is the maid of honor and has a small daughter in the wedding and shouldn't have to carry this responsibility. My husband and I are doing lots of extras and all the work, we can take out a loan to pay for what he promised--BUT---------- What should we do with this man? Needless to say the bride is terribly upset.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 02:42 PM
    It does not matter whether HE HAS THE MONEY. Weddings can get out of control. Weddings do not have to be expensive. It should not be on just one persons shoulder. That is my personal experience. Oh, wedding times can be stressful. What was promised exactly and what was not promised. You said expenses for commitement to a place for her wedding and all the trimmings. What exactly does that mean?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 4, 2006, 02:57 PM
    The bride needs to take back the wedding plans and reinvent it without any support from her father. I would suggest a different place even, if possible, to put as much distance to this unfortunate incident as possible. Believe it or not, I suggest she let him off the hook entirely. This is just not the time or place to play games with support, financial or otherwise and he has proved to be untrustworthy. Show him the door about being in the planning or paying of the wedding-- it is appropriate. She needs to see that she can have her wedding without him. Once she is not so vulnerable to his games, perhaps she can forgive him enough to keep him on the invitation list but I would suggest she learn to wear armor while encountering him, wedding day or otherwise. Arms length comes to mind but no one should bring this up that day, as it is over and done then. Broken promises means don't trust again until amends are made.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 07:28 PM
    Unfortunately you really don't have much recourse other than to take what he gives you and pay the balance yourselves. For whatever reason, he made a promise that he now is unable or unwilling to fulfill. Not a good way to operate, I'll agree, unless he's experienced some unforseen legitimate financial hardships that preclude him from splurging on a big fancy wedding. Your post doesn't indicate that he has. Have you considered that possibility, just to be fair to him and rule out any possible legitimate reason he may have for reneging?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

Paying Judgement before home is taken [ 1 Answers ]

CONFUSED Hi!! I just joined "askmehelpdesk" because I am seeking ANY possible answers to my question. I have a judgement against my home that my significant other of 26 years was named in. He passed away and now I am the only one left. I have been told that 5 years from the original date of...

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

Paying Cash for a House.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Group! I have poor credit due to events of a worker's comp injury. I have my settlement but cannot get a mortgage (except for very lousy 30-year 9% mortgage from a lender with 50% down) because of my poor credit, even though I have enough to buy the house outright which is $200,000. Should...

View more questions Search